How does in-store iMac Customization Work?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by uptownnyc, Sep 2, 2012.

1. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

I'll likely be purchasing a new iMac whenever they get refreshed, and I'd like to take advantage of a nice perk offered by the state of New York exempting buyers from paying sales tax (pdf) when the hardware being purchased for the purpose of developing computer software for sale, or developing web sites when that service is for sale. Since use of the form requires that you provide it to the sales person at the time of sale, I'd need to place my order in-person in a store. It's easy to see how you'd customize a machine when ordered online, but how does it work in the store? Since a customized machine may/will take some time to produce the desired configuration, do you order in-store and have it delivered to your home? I've always ordered my Apple stuff online.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

There is a good chance that all you have to do is go into the store, ask for a sales person, and then have them order the computer there at the store. I am not sure how it works exactly in New York City, especially for this special tax, but I would imagine that this should be a fairly straightforward process. At the end of it all, you likely can have the Computer shipped to your home.