How does Ios5 work on iphone 3gs?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by vintageapple, Jan 12, 2012.

1. vintageapple macrumors member

vintageapple

Does it lag it to the point of uselessness? Is it recommended to upgrade?

2. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

It doesn't lag to the point of being useless, it's nothing like the abysmal iPhone 3G and iOS 4 performance, but it's not as fluid as on iPhone 4 or the 4S.

3. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, it is much faster than iOS 4 on 3GS. It is well worth the upgrade.

4. Ristin, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

Ristin macrumors newbie

My wife has been very happy with iOS 5 on her 3GS. No issues.

5. DavoteK macrumors 6502

Got a few friends and family members using 3GS's and runs really well. As mentioned earlier, its nowhere near like iOS4 on the iPhone 3G. That was laughable.

6. acidrain79 macrumors member

I had iOS 5.0.1 on my 3GS when I sold it. I honestly found it in most ways to be smoother and snappier than iOS 4.3, definitely less jerky. I'd say it runs just as good if not better than 4.2.1 that was on my 3GS when I first bought it. If u turn off ur spotlight search, Bluetooth and close out apps u aren't using regularly it will run just perfect

7. TLewis macrumors 65816

It was noticeably faster than iOS4 on my 3GS, and the battery life was better.

However, that's since changed. My 3GS w/iOS5 often runs really slow right after unlocking, and locking is often slow (I'll often hear the lock sound many seconds after locking). My battery life has also gotten pretty bad. I'm guessing that some app is the culprit, or maybe the 5.0->5.0.1 upgrade, but this hasn't yet annoyed me enough to track down the problem.

I'm hoping that 5.1 will make things better.

8. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

this is true. Its pretty decent from what I've seen. trust me, nothing could be worse the ios 4 on 3GS

9. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

iPhones have always had that delay with the lock sound. If you unlock the phone then immediately lock it again, you will hear the sound match with the animation. But after you have the phone on for more than a couple minutes, it sometimes make the sound after the screen goes off. Someone on MR figured out the exact timing it does it.:confused:

10. TLewis macrumors 65816

Yes, but it seems to have gotten worse. Before, if there was a delay it was only a couple of seconds for me. Now, it'll sometimes take over 10 seconds ... I think I once counted to over 20. :eek:

11. acidrain79 macrumors member

For those of u having some lag with the locking and lock sound and lag hitting the home button to get to the lock screen, go to ur setting> general> reset> reset all settings. It won't delete anything but u will have to set ur ringtone, text tone, brightness, background/wallpaper back to where u had them before resettings. But somehow for me and a few others I've talked to, after updating to iOS 5 and experiencing some lag or some slowdown over time, it helps get rid of a lot of that. I'm not sure why, but it works!!!!!

12. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

My experience is with my 3GS that I'm still using is. . . .

When I upgraded from iOS 4 I was thrilled that iOS 5 was a noticeable improvement in general smoothness and speed.

My general opinion about my 3GS running iOS 5 is that it is perfectly usable, but can be a bit slow and "hell yeah, I'd like it to be faster some times" but I can wait till the iPhone 5.

I am not someone who needs the latest greatest stuff, I just want what I have to do the jobs I ask of it. And my 3GS still copes.

Apple are still selling the thing. That must say something for the phone's ability.

13. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

I don't think there's anything wrong with upgrading a 3GS to IOS5. Everything works great for the 2 we have here. It's not super laggy or unresponsive. Surprisingly it runs pretty well.

14. keroro macrumors newbie

15. donw35 macrumors regular

donw35

My personal phone is a 3Gs and my work phone is a 4s, the 3Gs is a little slower but worth it for the features.

16. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

Worked very well on my 3GS although notifications caned the battery toward the end...

17. pdafan macrumors member

It's way better than 4.x on 3GS.
    Noticeable faster. Batt as before.
    It's jailbroken too on iOS 5.0.1.

For me, 5.0.1 is a worthy upgrade.

18. GayRobot macrumors newbie

GayRobot

I'm running iOS 5 on a 3GS and it seems to run fine, a little laggy at times but no biggie.
    Especially considering I got the phone for free, I'm not gonna complain :D

19. vintageapple thread starter macrumors member

vintageapple

Thanks so much for the help! I was really thinking it was like the iOS4 on the 3g and have been holding off on the upgrade. I think you guys have swayed me to install iOS5. Thanks again!

20. acidrain79 macrumors member

Do it!!! U won't regret it, ESP if ur running 4.3. When u do tho I would suggest after doing the whole sync and backup thing, instead of doing a regular update that u put ur phone in DFU mode and let iTunes do a fresh restore from there, then restore from ur backup. Seems to be the most reliable and stable method of updating, ESP when going to a brand new OS