All iPads how does ipad get connected to intent ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bluebird3, Sep 14, 2013.

1. bluebird3 macrumors regular

do you have to have a contract with a phone company like cell phone? Or use Wifi if you have a router at home? I don't have in ipad, my parents overseas has one and they don't know how theirs are getting connected...... I want to be able to use my laptop to connect to the internet if i went visited them........ I know I want wifi there. They don't understand what wifi or router is... They said they already have a router in ipad... aghhhhh

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

if they don't know most likely is a 3G iPad.
    Just tell them to check the icon at the top left if it says 3G or has the WIFI signal icon.

3. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks. If it's 3G...cellular, i guess I'll have to bring my router with me or they will have to get one for me so it'll be ready when I get there...

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Your parents do have an Internet connection to their home? Perhaps you can just live with an Ethernet hookup while you are there?

5. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

I believe they have something similar to DSL.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If they don't know I wouldn't assume anything. Confirm the model that they have. Both models are WiFi capable.

7. terzinator macrumors 6502

If they have DSL, they have a DSL router/modem... You could likely hook up your laptop via ethernet to that.

You said you have a wireless router that you might bring with you? Is it a simple one to configure? (I'm thinking Airport Express...) You could bring and hook it up to their modem and set up a wireless network with that and connect that way. If you have a tricky one to configure (like something you might have gotten from your ISP, then I'd forget that option.)

You posted in the iPad forum, which leads me to believe you don't have apple hardware other than that.