How does iPhone 3GS compare to Flip HD?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ibrainch, Jun 15, 2009.

1. ibrainch macrumors regular

The only reason for me to upgrade to the 3GS from the 3G is the video, but I really haven't got a good sense of the quality of the video. I have a Flip Mino HD camera which is great - will the iPhone be better/worse in terms of video quality and capability? Let me know if anyone has concrete info on this, thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you just kidding? The Flip HD is a dedicated video camera. Perhaps crappy compared to other HD cams but it's dedicated. The iPhone is a phone with video recording capability. Don't expect to become a cinematographer with it.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

What I find hilarious is the Flip camera listed as HD. All that means is the picture is 720 pixels tall. "HD" is becoming the "X megapixels" of video. I don't expect the Apple camera to be awesome, but it should be at least decent -- depending on light settings.

4. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Ha, in this day and age, you never know! I bought a Flip HD a couple of weeks back and returned it. Horrible device. Simple, yes. But when my old mobile phone camera can essentially do the same quality without carrying a big, thick device around then I'm going for the old mobile phone camera instead.

You won't be replacing your Flip with the 3G S for shooting films but for impromtu filming, it's MUCH more convenient.

5. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

well judging how the initial iPhone camera was horrid, I hope they take a different approach with this video camera... this is also one of the main reasons I'm upgrading my 3G... oh and of course the extra speed more ram doesn't hurt :)

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's pretty much what I'm expecting. You want convenience, not necessarily top-notch quality. My gauge will be how the video looks if uploaded to Facebook. If it looks decent in that little window, then I'm cool. Same deal with pictures, although I'm expecting an improvement from the 2G/EDGE phone's pictures.

7. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I have the MinoHD too and am in love :)
    The difference is that the iPhone shoots at VGA quality, so yes you'll notice a difference, the Flip's quality should be a lot better.

Of course, we'll have to wait until Friday to figure out which one's better in lighting situations and such.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

Not sure but

I don't think you can make or receive calls :rolleyes: on the Flip HD the Iphone is a cell phone with Video and a camera don't expect it or any cell to compete with a camera or Video Recorder. next somebody will wanna know how there Iphone compares to there Washing Machine. seriously btw the flip is only a $150 get both then you can compare them yourself.

9. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Well if you're comparing it to the VGA Flips, then I don't expect them to be that much different in quality.