How does iPhone Prepaid work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theman5725, Jul 19, 2007.

1. theman5725 macrumors 6502

I know that it is possible to not sign a 2-year contract to use the iPhone. However, I see no details anywhere (on apple or AT&T) about how this exactly works. What is the pricing for this? How does it work if you want to use the internet or text message? If I had the iPhone, I wouldn't use the Phone feature a whole lot (20 minutes at most per month), but I would use the Internet feature like crazy.

2. pr5owner macrumors 65816

the prepaid option seems like an on and off thing, first it was "type in 999999999 as your SSN" but that was closed, i suppose you can generate a FAKE SSN or get someone's SSN with horrible credit to go prepaid.

also there is a software hack that allows you to activate the phone without actually activating it. once activated you can throw in whatever sim you want as long as its an ATT sim.

the software hack is avalible on google, but it will be closed probably with the first firmware update.

3. theman5725 thread starter macrumors 6502

So prepaid isn't officaly supported then? I'm just looking for a way to minimize iPhone costs so I can justify buying one. :apple:

4. pr5owner macrumors 65816

no, knowing apple it may even void your warranty for not following their policies/procedures.

however if you dont talk much getting prepaid is the best way to go, as you can still use the browser, ipod functions.

5. theman5725 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think I seriously used about 20 minutes on my phone last month. I'm mostly interested in Internet (Wi-Fi and EDGE), iPod, and maybe SMS if I can get it cheap.

6. pr5owner macrumors 65816

if you are willing to go through like 50 steps, you can save youself alot of money

http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_using_cingular_sim.html

prepaid ATT/cingular cards dont really cost anything, you can probably get one for $3-$5

i dont have a data plan on my phone, i just use wifi all the time if i need an internet connection

7. theman5725 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, it appears that the 999-999-etc SSN thing still works, and that this is the pricing scheme for it. It appears that you simply $50 for 200 minutes, and then just pay that price again whenever you need more minutes. What I don't understand is how data would work in the prepaid world.

8. pr5owner macrumors 65816

instead of unlimited you pay per MB, i think the data plan is an EXTRA fee ontop of your regular voice minutes.

9. milaszewski macrumors newbie

10. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a