How does iPhoto damage people's photos exactly?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ptit, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Ptit macrumors regular

Cant shut faces off,
    Cant shut locations off,
    its free, its iPhoto, not for pros though, they have to buy aperture, becuase.... well. iPhoto is not designed beyond the demo for pros, they have to pay or keep their files on the HD in folders.

So how exactly does iPhoto loose photos, i just gave it a test over the last few months and it acted up on me too, i put over 6000 photos, 4MB large plus some videos., before i knew it when i went to load a video it said data missing.

I did the usual, ran disk utilities, cross referenced the app package files by examining original masters with modified photos, no luck, every single photo or video i found corrupt was corrupt in all of iPhotos packaged folders, both master originals and modified.

how in the world does this take place and why would anyone put up with it beats me, but i like to know cause i am planning to use a new Canon 5D mkii in a few weeks and i want to be sure my next 10,000 photos do not end up missing.

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I have been very happy with Aperture, don't pay $199, it's $79 on the APP Store:eek:

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Lacking evidence to the contrary, the problem appears to be between the keyboard and chair.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Um, not really clear on what you're asking…if you're asking.

Yeah, pros prefer Lightroom and Aperture.

In normal use iPhoto doesn't damage my photos. Obviously it did with yours, but we aren't told how. Until you figure that out, I wouldn't assume it's iPhoto that did it. Perhaps you have a wonky disk or the photos were corrupt to begin with. We can't tell.

By default iPhoto copies photos into its library, so your originals can be left in other locations. Many of us do that, even though it can mean more storage space is used, just to be safe.

Rob

5. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Sounds like you possibly moved or modified your photos using Finder or another program, and now iPhoto is having trouble finding them or possibly reading them. Biggest learning for me after coming over from the PC world is to NOT touch your source files with any program other than the one you ingested them with (be it iPhoto, iTunes, Aperture, iMovie, etc.). Do all the moving and editing with the media browser in each program, rather than go poking around in libraries with Finder or other apps.

6. Ptit thread starter macrumors regular

Congress is still after apple over the UDID, IOS5 will not have UDID so no more JB developers who offer pirated software on source depository sites can hack through back-doors, some info out there already points to 5 security holes in JB 4.3.3 and 2 of them is for been connected to iPhoto and iTunes.

I say Apple only makes devices and their software is un stable, over hyped and untrustworthy, you never know whats next, FCP, Logic, whats next to be used only to further promote their devices to NEW naive users attracted to the trend rather then the quality.

use google and see videos for yourself, some of my photos where jagged, the packages show the originals chopped up, some went missing due to iphotos gathering of thumbnail data which is normally sends back to apple to view, hopefully your not a celebrity or famous politican been framed lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjlhv_epJt4
    people dealing with corrupt photos

----------

no i did not move or did anything, this is not the first time and i had exported 11000 photos from one iphoto library to folders and back before,

before the issues was the computers never had enough v ram, ram blah blah, even with a mac pro 8 core i watch iphoto take long to load the canon 60d shoots like its os9., on close with tons of photos you have to wait for iphoto to update the library, remind you in the background is faces, places, traces whatever going on.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Which brand of aluminum foil do you use to cover your head?

8. Sirolway macrumors 6502

lol

9. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Credibility gone.

Sounds a lot like those guys you see standing on street corners in big cities telling everyone the world is coming to an end. They seem so passionate, but yet so delusional.

10. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

ptit must be from the moon as he has no idea what he is talking about.

11. StephenAcworth macrumors member

This is not credible...

The video link this guy has pointed to on YouTube was posted over 1 year ago: so this guy is just wasting our time...

12. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I realize this is all patently ridiculous, but I have to ask the OP, in all seriousness, how many employees do you think it would require for Apple to look through everyone's photos? And to what end? What would be their payoff?

Let's lay out the scenario: employing millions of people to comb through millions and millions of users' photos would cost... I don't know, billions of dollars, at least, even at minimum wage, which I would bet would be too low? And then they find, say, two naked photos of Scarlett Johannson. Those are awesome and straight men everywhere thank them for their hard work, but how did Apple actually make back all that money they paid all those employees? As much as we've all been waiting for the moment when Scarlett revealed herself, I don't know of anyone who paid for those pictures. Seems like a money-losing venture for Apple. But do keep at it, Apple. There are many other lovely celebrity ladies to be uncovered.