Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0blivion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Hey everyone!!

Just a quick question...how is the iPad supposed to charge? Does it come with a dock, or do we have to plug it int a computer, like the iPod Touch.

Thanks!
:apple::D:apple:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The website says...

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system

So it sounds like it'll come with a USB power adapter like the iPhone does. The dock can charge it, too, so if you get one, you can use that. On the other hand, there's also a power adapter in the accessories store. So precedence is mixed -- the iPhone comes with a power adapter, and the iPod touch does not, right? So ... we'll see?

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I'm curious about this question too.

I would have thought it was the same as the iPhone based on mkrishan's quote from the Apple Website ("Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system"), but then there's that other accessory power adapter listed too:

iPad USB Power Adapter
The 10W USB Power Adapter lets you charge your iPad directly through an electrical outlet. And the 6 foot long power cable allows you to charge it from an even greater distance.

{Edit: On second look at this, I'm pretty sure that the electrical outlet charging is not supported by the parts that come in the box.

The power adapter referred to here: "Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system" is certainly the one referred to in the name of the accessory part: "iPad USB Power Adapter".

Though I guess that's part of the reason they were able to keep the price under five hundred bucks...}

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Does the iPad come with an power adapter to plug into a wall?

Surely this is a joke. A quick look at http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ would answer this.

usb_power_20100127.jpg

iPad 10W USB Power Adapter
The 10W USB Power Adapter lets you charge your iPad directly through an electrical outlet. And the 6-foot-long power cable allows you to charge it from an even greater distance.

It comes in the box!™

packaging_20100127.jpg

In the box
iPad
Dock Connector to USB Cable
10W USB Power Adapter
Documentation

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Surely this is a joke.

If it's a joke, I'm not hearing the punchline - - your post seems to confuse the issue.

I edited my post above to show my reason why the wall charger is not included in the iPad box.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
If it's a joke, I'm not hearing the punchline - - your post seems to confuse the issue.

I edited my post above to show my reason why the wall charger is not included in the iPad box.

Okay. I'm working under the idea that the "iPad 10W USB Power Adapter," listed as an accessory is the exact same as the "iPad 10W USB Power Adapter," listed as being provided in the box. The accessory bares no differentiation in name than the included part.

This quite similar to the iPhone specs page. http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html Where the "Dock Connector to USB Cable," is listed as "in the box." The accessory page below it, changes the name to "Apple Dock Connector to USB Cable." Yet as we both know, they are the exact same product.

Is there a chance the iPad could be shipped without that 6-foot power cable? I suppose but seeing as there is difference in the names of the accessories, I doubt it.

0blivion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Okay. I'm working under the idea that the "iPad 10W USB Power Adapter," listed as an accessory is the exact same as the "iPad 10W USB Power Adapter," listed as being provided in the box. The accessory bares no differentiation in name than the included part.

This quite similar to the iPhone specs page. http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html Where the "Dock Connector to USB Cable," is listed as "in the box." The accessory page below it, changes the name to "Apple Dock Connector to USB Cable." Yet as we both know, they are the exact same product.

Is there a chance the iPad could be shipped without that 6-foot power cable? I suppose but seeing as there is difference in the names of the accessories, I doubt it.

O.K., this makes sense. It also gives you the ability to purchase a new one for whatever reason. Maybe you broke the one that came in the box...

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...Is there a chance the iPad could be shipped without that 6-foot power cable? I suppose but seeing as there is difference in the names of the accessories, I doubt it.

The power cable is just the standard USB to 30 pin connector cable (included in box). You either plug it into your computer's USB port or you plug the USB end into the wall wart power adapter (it has a USB port) that comes in the box. This is SOP for Apple.

Strange that this is so confusing.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
The power cable is just the standard USB to 30 pin connector cable (included in box). You either plug it into your computer's USB port or you plug the USB end into the wall wart power adapter (it has a USB port) that comes in the box. This is SOP for Apple.

Strange that this is so confusing.

What is "SOP for Apple"?

The confusing part is the difference in Apple's policy between the iPod Touch and the iPhone.

riyadc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
You will be able to charge it by plugging in the 30pin connector to your ipad and the usb connector on the other end to a PC

OR

You can charge it by connecting the 30pin connector to your ipad and the usb connector on the other end to the 10w power adapter that comes with the ipad.

The power adapter that comes with the ipad is 10watts while a PC's usb port is typically 2.5 watt (5v 0.5a) so I think the ipad will charge faster when using the included adapter and will take alot longer when charging though a PC.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Standard Operating Procedures, i.e. it is how they roll.

I think we're all familiar with the meaning of the term SOP - - the question is whether Apple's SOP is the one they use for the iPod Touch (no wall adapter included in the box) or for the iPhone (wall adapter included in the box).

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I think we're all familiar with the meaning of the term SOP - - the question is whether Apple's SOP is the one they use for the iPod Touch (no wall adapter included in the box) or for the iPhone (wall adapter included in the box).
The original iPhone came with an adapter as will as all iPods. Apple just quite supply the adapters with on the 3G/3GS to cut costs and add profit by selling as an accessory. Apple unambiguously says "In The Box (as in included with the iPad) - 10W USB Power Adapter". Now what is there to not understand about this?

Also it looks like there will be an iPad:eek:, USB Cable and documentation included too.:D

screenshot_03_1.jpg

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
The original iPhone came with an adapter as will as all iPods. Apple just quite supply the adapters with on the 3G/3GS to cut costs and add profit by selling as an accessory. Apple unambiguously says "In The Box (as in included with the iPad) - 10W USB Power Adapter". Now what is there to not understand about this?

Also it looks like there will be an iPad:eek:, USB Cable and documentation included too.:D

[snip]
You didn't answer my question (unless you consider snark to be an answer).

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Per the tech specs page at the bottom, this is the "10W USB Power Adapter":

usb_power_20100127.jpg

And under "In the Box", it lists "10W USB Power Adapter."

On the iPhone specs page, it also lists "USB Power Adapter." On the iPod touch specs page, it doesn't list any "power adapter."

Therefore the answer is yes, it will include the wall adapter as with the iPhone.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I am guessing that the reason they also list the adapter separately is so that people can purchase additional ones if they so desire. I have my iPhone plugged into a dock and a wall charger all the time, and only connect the iPhone to the computer when it's time to sync it again. I have an extra dock and wall charger in another room for when I want to charge the iPhone in there instead; this one also doubles as my travel kit.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
The power adapter and usb to 30 pin connector for the iPad will be exactly how it is for the iPhone. The reason they also sell an additional one on the accessories listing is that if you look closely it states that the cord is 6 feet long! I doubt the included one in the box is 6 feet long. This is an additional length cord for those who might find that useful.
That's my take on it. :D

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
Doesn't matter it me. I've got so many of those little buggers from my iPhones and iPods I don't need another one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.