How does it feeling jumping from iPad 1 to iPad3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacAttacka, Mar 21, 2012.

1. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Considering you'll never miss the thinner/lighter iPad2 your new iPad is a pretty big leap. I have a few questions!

Do you notice the speed improvements?
    How are you liking the new Safari performance?
    Are there still grumbles you have from the original iPad that apple have yet to solve?
    Are you happy that you skipped iPad 2?
    Was the upgrade worthwhile?
    Do you think you're likely to skip more than one more generation of iPad before jumping back in?

Any other thoughts/opinions you want to share?

2. Azzin macrumors 68040

Yes, without a doubt.

Superb-no more checkerboards for me!

Occasional crash in Safari, but that's about it.

Yes, right move for me.

Absolutely, worth every penny!

For me, I think every other model is the way to go.

I skipped iPad 2 and I didn't change my iPhone 4 for a 4S.

I think it's a superb piece of kit and I can't really fault it. I can't wait to get to grips with watching my camcorder footage on (once I've converted it) and the whole iPhoto/iMovie thing.

3. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your insight! Im with you, I too will only upgrade ever each other generation if that. Im not sure if we're likey to see the same level of improvement over any two generation as with the iPad 1 & 3.

4. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

1. Yes - very much, everything is just faster. (except the facebook app, ugh)
    2. I'm getting used to the idea that it wont reload that much anymore. But i still only use abou 1-2 tabs simultaneously, hopefully, my mind can adjust.
    3. Speed - eventhough its a 2 year old device, Apple could've done something to prevent hangs and slow responses from the iPad (i'd be happy if they fixed just the keyboard lag)
    4. Very much happy. I know many people who made a winning choice to jump on the iPad bandwagon starting with iPad 2, their reason for not upgrading now is my reason for not upgrading back then. (and I get a huge plus of improvements all throughout)
    5. Yes. See above ^
    6. I'll look into it. Apple knows how to provide iterative updates vs. truly revolutionary ones so it may be the same iPad 1 to iPad 2 dilemma once again when the 4th arrives.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

This is my strategy as well. It started because of the two year phone contracts, but it seems to be the way to get the most improvement for the money.

6. turbotoes macrumors regular

Having gone from a 1 to a 3 I agree with everything Azzin said 100%.

All in all a good upgrade and I'm happy I skipped the 2, my better half though is very happy with his (now) iPad 1 :)

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I went from iPad to new iPad, but I did TRY iPad 2 last year (they just all had backlight bleed).

It's a pretty big difference. The iPad 2 difference was almost as big because starting with the iPad 2, it just feels more like a computer to me. It's so responsive.

The original iPad you didn't think of as being THAT slow, but if you really think about web browsing on it, or the time opening apps, it lags a bit. That is all essentially gone with the 2 and new iPad.

Now, with the new iPad you also get the phenomenal screen.

It's seems pretty worthwhile if someone wants an iPad like product.

8. dr34mc4st3r macrumors regular

dr34mc4st3r

Wirelessly posted

I went from iPad 1 to iPad 3 as well. Super happy with the upgrade. No complaints! :D

9. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Playing around with my sisters iPad 1 after playing with the iPad 3 it just felt heavy and slow. It should have had a flat back since the original. I guess Apple knew it would take at least another generation to take off so they kept the best features for the 2nd and 3rd model. Now theyre firmly on top they'll just need to do enough each year to stay there.

10. danderton macrumors member

X2 Love it

11. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

It feels like dumping your soccer-mom wife for an 18 year old blonde cheerleader.

BJ

12. Genebaby macrumors newbie

The new one is just fantastic. Looking to keep it at least till Gen5.

I have had browser crashes, mostly in Icab I think which used to attribute to low memory.

The speed and the screen should keep me happy for a while.

I am hoping I can last with the iPhone 4S as well when the new one comes out.

13. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

This was just an incredible upgrade to me coming from the iPad 1 to the 3.
    Everything is better and more fluid.
    I hope when I update again in 2 years the jump will be that big.
    I do have to say, I like the old form factor of the original iPad better in looks and feel minus the weight.

14. JulianL macrumors 65816

I can't put into words how big the upgrade is from my iPad 1 to my 3. 80% of my use is Safari and on my iPad 1 the fun was beginning to wear off because, even after upgrading to 5.1, browsing (and everything else) was beginning to frustrate me with stuff like keyboard lag and some apps such as Articles (a reader for Wikipedia) being very, very slow to launch.

My iPad 3 is a totally different experience. Browsing is almost instant, faster than my desktop PC 90% of the time, and even my slowest-loading app (the aforementioned "Articles") loads with almost no delay. It really is like night and day.

In retrospect I probably should have gone for the iPad 2 because that would have given me the huge performance jump as well but I had a hunch that the higher res display had a good chance of appearing in 2012 so I waited for that and a year ago the whole concept was still relatively new and exciting so the negatives weren't bugging me so much. I also didn't know what I was missing (the iPad 2 hadn't seemed as blisteringly fast when I played with it in an Apple Store after launch - no idea why not).

The upgrade was totally, absolutely, unequivocally 100% worth it - I have no reservations whatsoever in saying this.

Will I upgrade to the 2013 model? Who knows - we have no idea what it will be yet. If I had to place a bet though I would say that I probably will. Apple got all the most important new goodies into the iPad in 2012 (higher res display and LTE) and in 2013 I think that they'll make use of smaller geometry for the A6 (or whatever it ends up being) plus maybe power optimisations for the second generation retina display and whatever else they can throw in so that they can reduce the volume and weight of the battery and start going thinner and lighter again without compromising battery life. I'd still like a weight reduction (although I fully understand why that wasn't possible in the latest model) so that alone might draw me to a 2013 iPad.

Just do it. To call the iPad 3 an upgrade to the iPad 1 is selling it short, it's a whole new experience.

- Julian

15. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

1. I noticed massive speeds improvements. The original iPad just ground to a halt when running IOS5
    2. Awesome improvements, not a single Safari crash in a week, where as the lat one would do it at least once every 5 minutes when browsing.
    3. I didn't have any grumbles major grumbles my old iPad, until i put IOS5 on it lol :rolleyes: My friends iPad 2 is a much nicer weight than both the iPad 1 and 3 though (in my opinion)
    4: Im not sure, half of me thinks that i could have had this sort of performance a year ago (retina display/camera aside).
    5: It was defiantly a worthwhile upgrade for me.
    6: I'm considering upgrading yearly from now on, and just selling the previous model to reduce the cost of ownership. I've owned numerous IOS devices and have found that as soon as Apple stops manufacturing a certain device, the next major IOS update struggles to run on it. I can recount numerous examples of this. IO5 on the iPad and iPhone 3GS, IOS4 on the 3G etc. If you plan to upgrade every other year, the second will usually result in you having to work with a slower, less supported device.

16. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd like to see some compelling features in the 4th Gen. Speed bumps are nice but all new features are even better. Im still seeing the iPad as a consumption rather than creation device. I doubt we'll see the same jump as from 1-3 for quite a while. Apple are going t ohave a hard time obsoleting iPad 3.

17. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I say I'll be upgrading from a 1 to a 3, but technically I already have. Just waiting for the thing to get to me. Just a couple more weeks, the wait is painful.

18. pdawg macrumors regular

Do you notice the speed improvements? amazing fast, noticeable speeds
    How are you liking the new Safari performance? about the same. i did not notice huge issues before. maybe less crashing?
    Are there still grumbles you have from the original iPad that apple have yet to solve? was hoping for larger capacity (128) but not too devastated by it
    Are you happy that you skipped iPad 2? yes
    Was the upgrade worthwhile? absolutely
    Do you think you're likely to skip more than one more generation of iPad before jumping back in? depends on what is offered in the next version, but probably. i will do what i did b/w 1 and 2 last year: look at what is offered and see what i can live with

Any other thoughts/opinions you want to share?
    I am loving the LTE! It is unbelievably fast! Absolutely no regrets about upgrading. Really glad I switched my original white order for the black.

19. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

20. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I haven't noticed much weight difference.
    Screen is very pleasant to look at
    Yes, I am happy I skipped the iPad2
    I don't think I will be buying a new one for quite a while now.
    The upgrade was worthwhile

Basically the iPad is a toy for me. It really doesn't feel that much lighter than the original if you ask me. The main difference I notice is the resolution. After iOS5.1 the original iPad was still pretty snappy.

This one is much faster wrt typing response.

----------

Yeah but I am willing to wager that the soccer mom likely gives a much better... (same as your initials) than the cheerleader does.:eek:

21. Redjericho, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I almost want to keep my iPad 1 for another year because as the iPad 2 was sort of a huge refinement/speed improvement/optimization/stabilization update from the iPad 1, I feel like the iPad 3 will turn into another iPad 1 where its own hardware can't support both the software and powerful display and cause a huge amount of crashes and whatnot, and the 4th gen will iron out those bugs, creating another long time stable device.

I'm just saying that the iPad 2 will be useable for quite a long time because it has what is needed to support it's resolution and still have power to give to any future iOS updates, but will the iPad 3 begin to lack after a few iOS updates and turn into another iPad 1 that won't last for more than a few updates without beginning to crash/slow unbearably because so much of its processor is focused on the display?

22. Bitgod macrumors regular

Bitgod

I use Atomic mainly for browsing, and it was getting to the point that I wanted to shoot myself when using it with my 1, it would get too slow or crash on certain sites. Now it's a lot smoother on the 3.

Are the screens on the newer (2 & 3) ipads any darker than the 1? I had my two ipads next to each other. Both had auto-brightness on, both at about 50%. The ipad 1 has an anti-glare film on it, and it STILL seemed a lot brighter. Basically turning off the auto on the 3 and then bumping the brightness a touch down made it about the same.

23. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

I have the same concern that ipad 3 will struggle to support its high pixel counts for future ios upgrades.

ipad 1: low ram makes browsing multiple tabs a pain: reloading web page with only 4 tabs; I returned it after a week.
    ipad 2: solve ipad 1 performance problems and extra features like camera but missing a new expectation from iphone 4: retina. So I skip.
    ipad 3: got all features that I expected and I got it. I loaded max number of 9 tabs with heavy graphic sites without any reload problems. nothing is perfect so I can't wait forever.

24. 50548 Guest

Just gave my old iPad 1 to my Dad and ordered the new one...waiting for it now! ;)

25. metanoiac macrumors member

1) Yeah, its much faster than the first.

2) Liked it a lot.

3) My old iPad runs much cooler, it really does.

4) Yeah, for me its all in the screen, because I am reading PDFs a lot.

5) I am returning mine, because of the heat. Maybe I just got a faulty iPad, but I will wait and see what happens and how the debate will shape. Maybe I will jump back onto the 3 when I feel like I just had a bad apple, but more likely I will sit it out and jump for the improved next version.

6) see 5)