Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I have an iPhone 12 that was part of the Apple Upgrade Program and since I have had it for two years I have paid it off.
But when I went to the Apple Store app it told me that (duh) my iPhone 12 is paid off.
If I want to get one of the iPhone 14 and "continue" with the Upgrade Program, what's the simplest way to do that? I plan on pre-setting up the purchase later today when the ability to do so goes live. Do I start at the Upgrade Program page and then will it still allow me to use my iPhone 12 for a partial trade in credit or do I start a "normal" purchase with a trade-in because that seems like there is no way to then make the payments as part of the upgrade program.
(Sorry if this seems like it should be obvious but I started with the Upgrade program years ago when Apple first started it but decided not to upgrade from my 12 to the 13 and just kept making the payments on the 12.
Thanks for any info/suggestions/advice.

Reactions: Shawn0813

sandkicks

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
I think you need to set up a new upgrade plan and begin a new loan. Your old loan was closed when you paid it off. I am pretty sure you can’t use the iPhone as a trade in towards the towards the upgrade program now and when you set up the loan in the new upgrade program it will take time to enter all your info and the date will likely get pushed. This is the best answer I can give.

Yes I think you will be able to use your 12 as a trade to do a regular purchase towards the 14 though.

Last edited:

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I think you need to set up a new upgrade plan and begin a new loan. Your old loan was closed when you paid it off. I am pretty sure you can’t use the iPhone as a trade in towards the towards the upgrade program now and when you set up the loan in the new upgrade program it will take time to enter all your info and the date will likely get pushed. This is the best answer I can give.

Yes I think you will be able to use your 12 as a trade to do a regular purchase towards the 14 though.
Thanks for the info. That’s what I finally heard from Apple when I went through - no trade in if you want the Upgrade program. She sort of laughed and said I should done it before the final payment but then I couldn’t wait for the 14.
Thanks.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
If you want IUP I would start with the IUP page and see if you can use your paid off phone for credit
9-9-2022

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
If you want IUP I would start with the IUP page and see if you can use your paid off phone for credit
9-9-2022
I don’t think you can because I did the pre-setup earlier tonight to get the approval done and there was no option for a trade in. Thanks anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.