How does it work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hellseeker, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Hellseeker macrumors member

Hellseeker

Hello everyone.

A while ago I posted this thread, about how I'd manage to get a Macbook Pro shipped from the US to Denmark... Well... I got great news - for me. Apparantly my parents are planning our vacation already, and we're going to New York. Which means I'll be able to pick one up myself and save something in the 1000$ range. Sounds ridiculous, and it is. I have absolutely no computer-shopping experience, especially build-to-order ones, so I was wondering: If I just pop into the shop on Fifth Avenue, will I be able to buy a build-to-order computer, or do they only have the "standard" versions? I know it may be a silly question, but I'd be feeling pretty 'eh' if I can not.

Also, I'd like to know, IF Apple don't update their Macbook Pro series before... Is it March 17th the rumor says? ...Are the stores likely to have the new version in stock sometime early or mid April?

Thanks

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

They can upgrade the memory and HD in the store, but not much more.

TEG

3. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

The store nearest me only stocks the baseline hard drives for each of the computers. So, for example, if you wanted a 160GB drive, you would need to get the middle range MBP. They will however upgrade ram for you, but that means extreme increase in price. I am sure they will upgrade the hard drive for you too but I think it would require a genius bar appointment and some extra cash.

4. Hellseeker thread starter macrumors member

Hellseeker

What if I want the 17" MBP with HD matte screen and 2.6GHz? That's all

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

In-stock only, no BTO except for RAM (at absurdly high prices). I've never heard that they upgrade HDD's before (replace as part of a repair is a different story), and most reports are that they do not. If they do upgrade HDD's in-store, it's a new service, but then again you'd be paying Apple prices for it, still not recommended.

Keep in mind that if you return home with the machine in the original packing, it may be seen as a purchase and duties levied. Might be much cheaper to have a bag to carry it with and mail the box home (assuming you want to hold on to it, which is advised, at least until the return period is past).

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You could call them first to see what BTO options they offer.

http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/week/20080210.html

I didn't see an email address but they do list their phone number. Since 5th Avenue is a flagship store, they might offer more options than smaller stores.

7. sfs macrumors member

That, plus the 200GB 7200RPM HDD, is stocked at my local store. After playing with it, I was strongly tempted not to wait any longer.

8. panda macrumors regular

keep in mind

hej!

(from another mac guy in denmark)

it'll be great to be able to buy your new mbp in the US. why not?

keep in mind some of these things:

-in NYC there is a sales and city tax that adds about 10% to the price of the computer. there may be a way to oder the computer from another source on the net and have it delivered, but i'm not sure where to go for this. amazon? this complicates things, as you need to have it shipped to an address, have someone there to receive it... and what if there is some silly problem?
    -there is no way that you can deduct the sales tax when you leave the US.
    -it will have the US keyboard, no way to get it with the danish one in from the store, or maybe even from any apple supplier in the US.
    -the power supply converts automatically from 110 to 220v, but the actual plug will be the US type. the apple travel adaptor kit costs 35usd, or you can buy a little put-on adaptor in a hardware store for maybe 3usd... not as pretty, or practical.
    -remember to leave the box behind when you take it to denmark to avoid duties. the 'big' difference between the US and denmark (european) prices is the vat, which adds 25% to the price in denmark. if you have to pay that -legally- when you bring it into denmark, then, the price difference is almost nothing and not worth doing.

but yes, if you can live with these small annoyances, plus enjoy the thrill of picking up a lovely new mbp from an apple store in NYC, than do it and do it with a big smile.

håber du har en super tur til NY! and a happy new mac purchase.

hilsen :)

9. Hellseeker thread starter macrumors member

Hellseeker

So, outside the city limits there's not 10% added to the price?

Right, I've researched it once more, with the sales tax (I just realized you could enter the zip code somewhere in your basket on the online store), and I must have miscalculated something earlier because now it seems like I'll save something in the 1200$ range. I'm so getting one over there :D

Og mange tak!

10. panda macrumors regular

even better

that sounds even better....

rigtig godt!

sounds like you are going to have fun. enjoy the newmac

:)

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

The sales tax includes both state and local taxes which is why it varies form place to place within a state. So yes, you'll still be paying sales tax outside the city but it will vary a small bit depending on where you buy.

12. kalex macrumors 65816

If you are getting it from NYC, tax is 8.625%. If you go one state over to New Jersey, 2 tax brackets. some counties have 3.5% and most have 6%.

If you drive up to Delaware which is about 2 hour drive from NYC, there is no sales tax there. also state of Washington doesn't have sales tax.

Alex

13. Hellseeker thread starter macrumors member

Hellseeker

Thanks people!

I'm sure I'll figure something out. Even with the NYC tax, I save about 400$ - and that's with the plane tickets included :rolleyes: