How does iTunes recognize a Podcast file?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SillyKary, Mar 26, 2009.

1. SillyKary macrumors member

I transferred files from an old computer, incl some audio files. The files were just sitting in a normal folder (some time ago manually copied out of the iTunes Music folder on the old Mac) and named sth like "Song_x.mp3" where x is a running number.

I selected all and dragged them onto iTunes on the new Mac (10.5.6). To my surprise some of them ended up in the Music folder, some in Podcasts. In fact ALL of them had originally been podcast downloads, but why does iTunes not recognize some of them as such? Or the other way around, what makes iTunes think that a certain file is a podcast?

There were no XML files or anything else with meta or subscription data among the files I copied, so the info must be stored in the MP3 files themselves. How? Special ID3 tags? Which ones? How can I edit them?

Ultimately, I'd like to have all those files in the Podcasts folder under the same Podcast. I tried this nifty utility: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=readdaspodcast
    but it creates a new subfolder in Podcasts. What can I do to convince iTunes that those "music" files should really go into the same Podcast folder with the rest of them?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The information is contained either in the header or ID3 tags. You can convert "music" to "podcast" by simply selecting it, opening its info/properites, and under options, changing it from music to podcast. The same is true for videos, which default to movies, but can easily be changed to TV Shows or Music Videos.

TEG

3. SillyKary thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, but that doesn't work. The only two options there under Media Kind are Music and Audiobook. No Podcast. At least not on my iTunes (8.1 on OS X 10.5.6).

It also doesn't seem to make much sense for it to work that way, because iTunes still wouldn't know which Podcast series to assign the file to. As I already said, I know this info must be stored "either in the header or ID3 tags", but I'd really like to know how exactly and how I can edit it.

Any ideas anyone?