How does Leopard run on Core Duo Macbook Pro's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kmarketing, May 25, 2008.

1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I just upgraded my newly acquired mac mini to leopard and it runs great. I was thinking that it may be a good idea to get mu macbook pro up to leopard also.

1. Would that be a good idea just to keep things as consistent and compatible as possible?

2. How would leopard run on the core duo? Would it better than tiger?

Thanks so much!

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've got the original 1.83 Core Duo MBP with 2GB of RAM and it runs just great with Leopard.

I can't honestly say if it is any faster or slower than Tiger but I haven't had any problems since I upgraded.

3. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds good, I wonder how the speed is. I wouldn't want to upgrade if I was to take a hit on speed, especially with an older machine that can't be upgraded with more memory.

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have a 2GHz Core Duo MacBook with 2GB and a 5400RPM HDD and it runs about as good as it does on my 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB iMac.

5. sdsviet macrumors regular

i have leopard running on my 2.0 CD 2GB 256MB 7k100 and it feels pretty snappy. the only downfall im having is worse battery life. only been getting 2hrs or so which sucks. im still trying to figure it out if its leopard or soemthing else with the hardware. i know a lot of people out there have been complaining about their battery life getting worse with leopard as if there's some type of bad power management with leopard. so if you gonna update to leopard, can you record battery life with tiger and record it again with leopard and see if there's a difference. it will help us out a lot.

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Have you followed all the power management "routines"? Such as screen brightness dimmed as low as possible, bluetooth/airport off when you don't need it, CD/DVD's ejected when not in use, not doing processor intensive stuff when on battery..

I had the original core duo MacBook Pro, and its battery life did suck, but if I followed what I had just described above, I would manage to squeeze out close to 3 hours. Leopard does a good job with power management, I think the only reason battery life would go down is due to Leopard requiring more resources, hence it asks a bit more from the computer then Tiger.

If you are buying a new MacBook Pro, stick with a Santa Rosa model, better battery life by far. (I think the merom ones did a good job too..)

All the Intel machines run Leopard just fine, it's the G4's that should be worried about.

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I have a G4 PB 1.67MHZ and it runs Leopard fine.

8. sdsviet macrumors regular

yes i've done all that besides the screen brightness. i prefer to have it all the way up. this is also a new battery from apple. i've tested it with only ichat and firefox and nothing flash heavy or youtube. this is all browsing and chatting. i only get 2hrs with it. for me i feel that this is way too low for a new battery. with my older crappier battery i was getting around 3. i would have reverted to tiger but i just love spaces too much to change. hehe

9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

That explains a lot. That eats the battery life away the most, I usually have mine on one or 2 bars depending on the ambient light.

10. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Thanks! I also change my settings to try to get the most out of battery life - lower the screen brightness, shut off bluetooth, etc. so I should be fine then?

Now how about performance wise, is it a worthy upgrade to move from tiger? Or do some of you actually prefer tiger?

Thanks!

11. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I was thinking about sticking with Tiger for stability, but opted for Leopard, features like Spaces and the overall OS upgrade is worth it.

12. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

I have leopard on my Macbook (see sig). I notice no difference between it and tiger in terms of performance. I can't really comment on battery life though. When I got my laptop it was 3h+, now I'm down to about 1.5h at 49% health.
    Thats not leopards fault though.