How does Leopard's Network Sidebar Work with Multiple Workgroups and Domains?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ingenious, Aug 4, 2008.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I'm curious, how does this work in Leopard? Can anyone post screenshots? I'd be interested in seeing them... in Tiger, there were multiple folders in "Network," but I've never seen anything like this in Leopard.

Am I just missing something?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Don't quote me (as I can't run Leopard) but I believe that the sidebar only shows those systems in your workgroup. You'd have to use the Network Volume or Connect To Server to find systems outside of your workgroup.

TEG

3. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Hmm. That doesn't seem to hold quite true for PCs on the network I'm connected to... "random" PCs that connect (I'm at my church for VBS, so some workers have brought their laptops for lessons, etc.) show up, and their definitely not in the church's workgroup.

Also, how do organizations with large numbers of Macs handle this? I know at my high school where there were hundreds of Macs, a few would show up until it filled up, and then I got a "More..." option. However, there was no network organization passed alphabetical sorting... what about workgroups for Mac-only networks?