How does liquipel work?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by borgqueenx, Feb 18, 2013.

1. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

If it makes a coating that blocks water from touching parts inside...how can we still use earphones and the lighting connector? Those parts will also be covered with a anti-contact layer?
    And is a repeated treatment required to make it last? Or better question would be if it has a expire date...

Thanks!

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Here is the FAQ:
    https://www.liquipel.com/faq

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No, the coating does not affect using headphones, the dock, or anything for that matter.

And it's suppose to last the lifetime of the device.

4. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks. thats pretty nice. i hope i can treat my device with it when it reaches europe...
    i really dont want to ship it overseas and deal with taxes shipping costs and alot of time.

5. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

1000times thinner then a human hair...
    So what happens when dropped in a swimming pool or sea? The salt or swimming pool stuff love to help the corrosion and destruction process.
    Can the liquipel really have that or does it needs to be reapplied after a dive?

6. jdecosta macrumors member

I went by their booth at CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in Las Vegas. They did a demo with a Kleenex tissue that had Liquidpel applied and it was amazing. They dunked the tissue in water and it came out completely dry. Water rolled off of it.

7. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool but doesnt answer my question^^

8. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

In the time it took you to write this thread you simply could of googled "liquipel" and found out the info for yourself.

10. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah but it doesnt answer why it still can make contact with my cables ect...it means it can allow electricity flow. Wich means water can short circuit because it can still accept and flow electricity?
    Its a basic explanation i am more curious.

11. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Here's a guess: When you insert it into the headphone jack, it gets rubbed off of the connection surfaces, which don't need to be protected by the stuff anyways, as they are goldplated.

12. Radiating macrumors 65816

Liquipel uses a special type of molecule that allows electricity to flow between two good conductors, but prevents electricity from flowing between an ok conductor like water and a good conductor.

The effect is similar to how a transistor works, where it only conducts electricity under specific circumstances.

Simply put liquipel allows materials with a conductivity of roughly 1x10^5th or greater to conduct electricity and it prevents anything less from being conductive. The list of materials that are that conductive is limited to metals that cables are made of, so it prevents water which is several orders of magnitude less conductive from making a connection.

In other words the only thing that will cause a short is if you filled your phone with copper dust or something.

13. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816