How does Mac OSX Leopard assign you the short name or the home directory name?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ahrenba, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ahrenba macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I just got my first mac.

I don't remember entering a short name or the name for my home directory in the Users folder.

How did the Mac decide that for me and what is the default?

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

It as been a while but as I remember, it uses the name you give it during the account setup (lower cased??) unless you go out of your way to change the pre-filled entry it puts in there for you.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

MacUser is correct. The setup assistant (that runs the first time you start your computer) asks for your full name and then for a short name.

4. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

Is there any way to change the home name? I can't seem to find an easy way.

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Madoka...
    You can't change the short name without rendering your computer useless because it is used by all of your applications (system and what you're running) for resources. Of course, you could create a new account for yourself identical to the one you have now (except for changing the short name or whatnot), load that one, transfer your data from the other account over, and then delete your old account.

6. johto macrumors 6502

johto

No. Make a new account with right information and after that copy your old user folder content to the new one and change file / directory permissions to reflect the new owner. This is not "easy" to do in graphical interfrace, you need to do it on another (admin) account using terminal and unix commands.