How does Macbook Pro update Nvidia drivers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by respectabilia, Nov 9, 2010.

1. respectabilia macrumors regular

I was wondering whether to update the nvidia drivers from time to time, is this done through and included in the normal 'software update' from the top-left apple menu bar or do I have to go to the nvidia site and manually update each time?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Software Update should suffice. Btw, have you seen any Mac OS X drivers on the Nvidia Support / Downloads page?

[​IMG]

3. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

Don't quote me but I don't think Apple typically updates graphic drivers. I have only seen an update titled "graphics update" once, on an older model MacBook Pro. It's possible that they may be hidden in updates but I've never seen it listed in any patch notes.

You can't download any graphic updates from AMD/NVIDIA for OS X. Maybe we'll see it start to change now that Steam is pumping out games for the platform.

4. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

i wish they would push updates out! but i doubt it..

5. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

The graphic drivers just plain suck.

If you run benchmarks I would say you will easily see 10fps better in Windows on a MBP than you will in OS X.

-P

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Always via software update. Sometimes tucked into a 10.x.x version upgrade, sometimes floating on their own. Yes, you won't see graphics drivers updated every day as with nVidia and ATI. If you want more control, you'll need to operate in a windows environment.