Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomato148

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Hello!

I have just bought a new MacBook Air 2015 a week ago. I have never owned a Mac, but i have owned an iPhone so i was a little confused by the auto brightness on the Mac.

When i turn up the manual brightness to a 100% and then turn on auto brightness, i stays very bright. When i turn it to around 10% and then turn on auto brightness it stays very dark.

On the iPhone that i'm used to the manual brightness control and the auto brightness control does not have anything to do with each other, so the Mac-way to do it is very strange to me.

Can anyone explain how the auto and manual control relate? And where should i put the manual controller before switching to auto?

Hope you understand what i'm asking for. How the brightness works is a little confusing for me.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
I believe it works like this - the settings influence each other. With manual brightness set, you control it entirely. With auto on, you control it mainly, but when you walk into a dark room, it gets a notch or two darker and it brightens up in direct sunlight. Just like on my GF's iPad (I really think it's the same in iOS)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.