How does MBA 2013 compare to MBP (ex-touchbar)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cookieme, Nov 29, 2016.

1. cookieme macrumors regular

Comparing the following two models, is there a large performance gap between the two?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013):
    • 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache
    • 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    • 256GB SSD
    • Intel HD Graphics 5000

13" Macbook Pro Without Touch Bar:
    • 2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache
    • 8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3
    • 256GB PCIe-based SSD
    • Intel Iris Graphics 540

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

The new 2016 MBP is way faster in every way. The clock speed (GHz) don't tell the whole story. The new machine's processor is much faster clock-for-clock. The SSD in the new machine is the fastest available in virtually any machine - laptop or desktop.

It's slightly thinner than the thickest part of the 13" MBA (but of course doesn't taper towards the front) and has a smaller footprint.

The screen on the new machine is so great it makes the MBA's screen look like total garbage.

The new keyboard, IMHO, is great. And the battery runs forever. I get an honest 10+ hrs of solid use.

And for me, the two USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports aren't a limitation. Most of what I do happens wirelessly anyway.

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Upgraded from the same. Bought the 8gb 256 base model in store. So far for me it has been more of a feature upgrade. I don't stress the machine but having the touchbar, nicer display and larger keyboard are nice. But as a simple user the MBA worked fine, really just used it for browsing, light gaming and word processing.

4. cookieme thread starter macrumors regular

I've always maxed out my Macs but this time the whole buying experience is different :( I'm thinking about upgrading to this base MBP and not even getting AppleCare. I'll either replace it with a 2017 model if Apple gets its **** together or keep this as a backup.

Does the front edge bother you coming from the MBA?

5. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

No. doesn't bother me at all. Machine is thin enough not to notice.