How does messages search work?

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
I'm looking for the word "Singapore" and I have a few of my friends who have used that word in their replies/messages to me. Now some of them have used the word more than once in multiple messages. How can I look for the message I want? Searching for "Singapore" only lists the most recent message with the word Singapore. How do I go to older messages?

LV426

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2013
I'm looking for the word "Singapore" and I have a few of my friends who have used that word in their replies/messages to me. Now some of them have used the word more than once in multiple messages. How can I look for the message I want? Searching for "Singapore" only lists the most recent message with the word Singapore. How do I go to older messages?
In the Messages app itself, drag down the first message you see to reveal a search box. Typing Singapore in that box will filter and display messages containing the word Singapore. I just did this myself and, funnily enough, found a single message with the word Singapore in it.

I'm not sure why you're only seeing recent entries, though. I'm seeing results for other searches going back years.

Last edited:

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
In the Messages app itself, drag down the first message you see to reveal a search box. Typing Singapore in that box will filter and display messages containing the word Singapore. I just did this myself and, funnily enough, found a single message with the word Singapore in it.

I'm not sure why you're only seeing recent entries, though. I'm seeing results for other searches going back years.
Nope not working for me. I have a contact by the name Tom and Tom has used the word Singapore atleast 10 times with me this year. When I search for Singapore Tom's last message with the word Singapore shows up. Also other contacts who have used the word Singapore also show up but I'm interested in looking at Tom's earlier usage of the word Singapore. I had to manually scroll and find the message. The message is there and so is the word Singapore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.