Carrier How does MetroPCS and other second-rung carriers rate?

nkaufman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Hello,

Am trying to find out how the second-rung Carriers rate when compared to the Big 4 - ATT, Verizon, TM, Sprint.

Looking at Metro which is TM.
Is service comparable to TM?
Is the only drawback that TM will give its customers preference over Metro?

anyone with direct experience?

Thanks,

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Nov 6, 2014
I know T-Mobile saves money with quality of CS. T-Mobile uses CS based in the US while they use outsourced CS with Metro.

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
Customer service isn’t as good and you lose out on some extra features depending on the carrier, like international roaming. Phone deals on flagship devices usually aren’t as good. If you are a DIY customer with no need for those features, the savings can be totally worth it (and more than make up for the lack of phone deals).

nkaufman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
I know T-Mobile saves money with quality of CS. T-Mobile uses CS based in the US while they use outsourced CS with Metro.
Thanks,
Thinking about how many times I've contacted ATT over the years, I wasn't sure if this mattered. However, I'm sure that immediately after stating this I'll be needing ATT CS support, Isn't this how things work in this world :)

Customer service isn’t as good and you lose out on some extra features depending on the carrier, like international roaming. Phone deals on flagship devices usually aren’t as good. If you are a DIY customer with no need for those features, the savings can be totally worth it (and more than make up for the lack of phone deals).
Thanks,

The only reason I'm looking at MetroPCS is that I'm getting a couple of iPhone SE 32GB for relatives and want them to have a reasonable service. As long as text/voice/data is uninterrupted and of good quality, I can live with a bit under-performing CS.