How does my 2007 MacBook have El Capitan running on it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zachwi17, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Zachwi17 macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently purchased 2 2007 MacBooks used.

One each for my wife and I. Mine has OS X El Capitan running strong on it and I have no problems with speed, WiFi or graphics like some forums suggest . 4gb ram 120gb hdd Hers on the other hand same build (4gb ram 120gb hdd) I try to upgrade to El Capitan via bootable usb and all I get is the prohibited.

Mine has an upgraded ram and hdd
    Hers only has an upgraded ram could it be the original hdd? If I replace it could this be the problem?

2. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

If you're sure that both of them are 2007 models, it's possible someone used MacPostFactor to install El Capitan. It works and is usable for some things, but you don't get graphics acceleration and the performance is generally quite poor compared to a version that does have acceleration.

(To check that yours is really a 2007 model, click  > About This Mac > System Report and next to Model Identifier it should be either MacBook2,1 or MacBook3,1. There are later models identical in appearance.)

3. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

I’m curious. Why did you get machines that old? Doesn’t your wife have problems running Lion 10.7.5? We retired our old 2008 2.4 GHz MacBook4,1 years ago due to lack of browser support on that OS.

We replaced it with a 2008 aluminum 2.0 GHz MacBook5,1 I got off Kijiji for US$150 (a couple of years ago), and then upgraded it with an old extra SSD and 8 GB RAM (although 4 GB was OK with light usage). Running 10.13 High Sierra on it.

4. Zachwi17 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was Cheap and efficient at this time considering I only spent $50 each. Honestly I have outdated recording hardware, adobe cs6 programs and wanted squeeze a couple more years out of them. Im not able to spend $50 monthly on adobe cc nor do I want to. Thanks to finding my macbook I now don't have to for a long time possibly never if the internal components hold up.

My wife also doesn't need anything fancy just basic minimal use probably just MS Office and youtube etc.. for her vet tech classes.

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Hmm...
    Maybe you got lucky, and received an early 2009 MacBook, which looks identical to the earlier white MacBooks, just different logic boards (and will natively upgrade to El Capitan). That could explain why it performs as well as it does.
    The System Information will tell the tale,
    -- 2007 MB will be a MacBook2,1 or 3,1
    -- the early or mid-2009 will be a MacBook5,2.

6. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

That makes sense. However, my issue is trying to access modern banking and other websites. They are often simply incompatible with the main browsers of that era and most current browsers don't work on Lion 10.7.5.

7. Zachwi17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not running lion 10.7.5 on the 2007 macbook I'm using now has el capitan and I do not do online banking I'd rather physically see my money in life. Unlike most snowflake millennials my age or younger.

8. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Just curious now - which 2007 MacBook do you have: MacBook2,1 or MacBook3,1?
    (click on About This Mac, then System Report. Hardware Overview will display the Model Identifier :cool: )

9. Jack Neill macrumors 6502

Jack Neill

How does using online banking make you a snowflake? Thats the stupidest thing I have read all day. Welcome to 2005 old-timer.

10. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

It's not just about "online banking", per se.
    It's about secure web sites that need to have a browser (and its associated OS) that supports the level of security that is necessary, and (in the case of various banks) that the banking site accepts the use of that web browser.

@Zachwi17 - which 2007 model MacBook do you have that is running El Capitan? Look at post #8

11. Zachwi17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im almost 27 and refusing online banking is purely a self preference thing not an age thing. Im against it for various reasons 2 of which is involves a study which proves people are more likely to spend their hard earned cash carelessly when physical cash is absent in most transactions.

Why do you think most the the population spend their paycheck before they receive the next thus keeping the majority enslaved through debt. Ever wonder why is school they never teach proper financial mangagment and how to grow wealth. Just saying that if its convenient most likely its not the the best route unless ur the kind of person who is always aware of what your spending. I just prefer physical cash over a piece of Magical **** plastic.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 21, 2019 at 5:55 AM ---
    Delta I wouldn't worry about banking this is not a computer in which I handle my finances.

Sorry for the late reply bud.
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
    --- Post Merged, Aug 21, 2019 at 5:57 AM ---

Delta I wouldn't worry about banking this is not a computer in which I handle my finances.

Sorry for the late reply bud.
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,2

12. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

OK! That explains why you can simply use El Capitan on your MacBook.
    As I pointed out, the white MacBooks from that era all look alike (unless you know how to distinguish the different keyboards. I think Apple used 3 different key layouts, hard to see without having two different ones side-by-side.

But, moving on - you lucked out by getting an early or mid 2009 MacBook. That woould be the one running El Capitan, which supports that natively. I suspect that you got that 2009 MacBook, and the other is a 2007 MacBook (which again, will show in the System Profiler as a MacBook2,1 or MacBook3,1.
    So, you bought two different MacBooks, that look the same until you compare the internal model identifier.
    And the older one can't go to El Capitan, without hacking the system. And, even then, you will have an older MacBook that doesn't work very well on that hacked system - no graphics acceleration, and likely no internal audio, and maybe not any wifi. ... I would give up on the old one, and use it on its best system, which would be OS X 10.7 (Lion)
    Ya got a good deal from someone who maybe didn't know what they were selling.

13. Zachwi17 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok that makes sense but why does it say 2007 on the back with model A1181 same as the other one.

14. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

The white Macbooks are all the same model A1181 - from 2006 to 2009.
    Or, you may have one that had a logic board replaced, and whoever did that put a newer model.
    The outside of the case may be different than the "guts". It happens, particularly where most of the parts are completely interchangeable. You did get lucky with a 2009 model!

15. avz macrumors 6502

I guess it is the same with A1278. The mid-2012 MBP9,2 says 2010 on the bottom case.