iPad How does my ipad1 screen have no scratches?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Guitarpik, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Guitarpik macrumors member

I've had my iPad 1 since launch and at first I was very protective of it. I keep a case on it but nothing protects the screen. In the past 2 years I've been less protective of it and sometimes even place things on top of the screen if I'm carrying stuff around.

I'm just curious why it has literally no scratches at all when every other device I've had (including iPhones) always manages to get at least tiny hairline scratches over time.

Do they use an even stronger material for iPad screens?

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

Gorilla glass is very strong and scratch resistant, which is why Apple chose it for their glass screens. ?

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Because you don't keep it in your pockets with other things (including lint and micro debris).

I've never gotten scratches on any of my idevices despite not having a screen protector. I think I'd have to get out a microscope and proper lighting to see any damage if there were any.

4. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Not trolling, but has anyone ever demonstrated that Apple use Gorilla glass? I know people said they aren't listed on Corning's site, because Apple doesn't like to endorse products, but...... :confused:

No scratches on your iPad because you took care of it. ;)

5. acorntoy, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Tim cook has stated that Apple gets its glass from corning, it's just a educated guess that they are using gorilla glass.

To OP:

I'm sure your iPad has many, many scratches on it. Put it under direct light and tilt it a little (while off) it's just that the scratches are so light that you can't see them under normal usage conditions.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Could be luck. Could be differences in how you use the devices. Could be a bit of both. How would we know any better than you would?

7. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Same for me. My iPhone is full of scratches on the screen whilst my iPad doesn't, but I reckon is due to the smart cover

8. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

My iPad 2 actually is covered in scratches, and I don't know how THAT happened. I am going to try filling the smaller ones in someday, or I might be getting an iPad 5 or iPad mini 2 in when they are out.