How does my iPhone know where I live?

goobot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I was looking at my nofication center and my iphone said it will take 20 minutes to drive home. Im just wondering how does my iphone actually know this? I never told it or put any sort of location based reminder ever or anything. :confused:

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
It tracks where you frequently visit at certain times of the day

Go to Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services>Frequent Locations to see a view of these locations mapped out or to turn it off

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was looking at my nofication center and my iphone said it will take 20 minutes to drive home. Im just wondering how does my iphone actually know this? I never told it or put any sort of location based reminder ever or anything. :confused:
Did you put your home address in your contact record?

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011

Go to Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services>Frequent Locations to see a view of these locations mapped out or to turn it off
thats so cool. never knew it has a list of my location lol. Its interesting to see them.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

so if you go to work every day it's gonna think work is your home?

nope, that's not how it works. it uses your contact in your phone.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Hm,.. I looked at this a bit in frequent locations...kind of funny...one should be careful about this - what if your spouse finds out you've been going to number zzz on xxx street regularly, and no one she knows lives there??? Or if it shows you've been to the local bar 4 times more often than you said you have?

Maybe one should not enable the feature if you have something to hide...

Of course the NSA will still find you if you have been making derogatory remarks about them..

Now why is there a large black SUV sitting outside my house??? Maybe I better leave by the back door.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Hm,.. I looked at this a bit in frequent locations...kind of funny...one should be careful about this - what if your spouse finds out you've been going to number zzz on xxx street regularly, and no one she knows lives there??? Or if it shows you've been to the local bar 4 times more often than you said you have?

Of course the NSA will still find you if you have been making derogatory remarks about them..

Now why is there a large black SUV sitting outside my house??? Maybe I better leave by the back door.
I think you're relationship has already reached rock bottom if your partner is tracking you or checking where you have been.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008

It might if you have it entered, but it doesn't need it. I think most people go to work everyday :confused:. If you go to work, it will think you're at work. It tells me each morning "It will take you xx minutes to drive to work". I never input my work address in my phone or anywhere. It assumes you're at work based on how long you're at a location and at what time of the day.

If you have a graveyard shift and are at home in the day and at work at night, then it might have it flip flopped for you, but frequent locations doesn't require any address input.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
It might if you have it entered, but it doesn't need it. I think most people go to work everyday :confused:. If you go to work, it will think you're at work. It tells me each morning "It will take you xx minutes to drive to work". I never input my work address in my phone or anywhere. It assumes you're at work based on how long you're at a location and at what time of the day.

If you have a graveyard shift and are at home in the day and at work at night, then it might have it flip flopped for you, but frequent locations doesn't require any address input.
It takes into account other things like do put the down for 6-8 hours and plug it in to charge too indicating this is where you sleep, whether do not disturb is active, and your app trends at each of those locations.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

Don't they only know how to use the message and Facebook app:)

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I think you're relationship has already reached rock bottom if your partner is tracking you or checking where you have been.
Absolutely! I was joking. I've been married for 25 years and my wife and I fully trust each other. She knows I don't drink or run around with loose women.

But if your partner/spouse has to check on you something is really wrong as you say.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI

No, because it still happens if you don't have your address in your contact record. If you read above you would see OP does not have his contact info entered. It tracks what time of the day you are in certain locations. If you wake up every day around the same time and drive into "work" and stay there for 6-8 hours it will reasonably assume that location is your work. Then when you return "home" and stay there overnight it will assume that is your home.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
its not that sophisticated.
it uses your apple id

you're both trying to be wise guys and yet you're both dead wrong

ouch

----------

No, because it still happens if you don't have your address in your contact record. If you read above you would see OP does not have his contact info entered. It tracks what time of the day you are in certain locations. If you wake up every day around the same time and drive into "work" and stay there for 6-8 hours it will reasonably assume that location is your work. Then when you return "home" and stay there overnight it will assume that is your home.
you were correct the first time and you're still correct the second time

some people just think they know it all

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
My iPhone knows where I live, where I go to school, how long it takes me to get to school and home... At first I found it weird, but now it's kind of cool.

iPad Air

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
SC, USA
Absolutely! I was joking. I've been married for 25 years and my wife and I fully trust each other. She knows I don't drink or run around with loose women.

But if your partner/spouse has to check on you something is really wrong as you say.
Thats great! Happy 25th! :)

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
I really doubt this is how it works. But if you insist, then whatever helps you sleep at night.