How does my iPod touch start playing songs in my pocket?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tablo13, Mar 22, 2011.

1. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

The iPod touch is in sleep mode, it's not like I can tap the screen since it's not resistive touch screen. Is it the double-click home button that makes my iPod play songs in my pocket?

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Tapatalk

2. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

That's very strange indeed. Maybe you forgot to stop the music last time you were playing it and the volume buttons just got hit while in your pocket? If not.. That's one mystery.

3. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Well, if this function comes to true in iPod Touch, the screen lock is meaningless.;)

4. jimmie32 macrumors member

jimmie32

Capacitive touch screen doesn't mean that it only reacts to your fingers.
    Sometimes it might contact with something else which is conductive/capacitive and still trigger. That's how the capacitive-screen styluses work anyway :)

If it happens often, maybe there are some things in your pocket which trigger it. It shouldn't play by itself.

It happens for me and it's usually because my fingers sometimes accidentally trigger the touch screen (1/who knows what chance) and it plays.
    We need a mute switch on the iPod touch.

Come on Apple. A mute switch isn't expensive to make...

5. RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

This used to happen to me a lot with my iPod Touch 2nd generation. I also found the interface fiddly.. so in the end I sold it and got an iPod Nano instead. I didn't even use the iPod Touch apps since it was only wi-fi.

6. lostless macrumors 6502

If you hold the home button, it turns on voice commands, which in your pocket the ipod starts trying to understand the random noise. Just yesterday, I turned on voice command forgetting what I wanted to play and ended up saying nothing. The random noise in a Subway made my ipod think I wanted to play all songs by Collective Soul. Just a thought.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Heh, what does that say about Collective Soul?

OP, another possible cause might be the Shake to Shuffle feature. If the home button got pressed by something in your pocket twice quickly enough, it can bring up the music controls, and then if you shake it (which happens easily enough while walking or making... other movements), it will start playing a random song. Double-tapping the button isn't easily accomplished by something in your pocket normally, but perhaps something is just lining up perfectly, like the corner or your wallet or phone?

I always try to keep my iPod in a separate pocket, and if I can't, I put it in my pocket with the screen facing my leg and nothing facing the screen, to protect it and keep the home button from being pressed by anything. Might just try to do that and see if the problem stops.

jW

8. clibinarius macrumors 6502a

My iPod occasionally turns on with Elton John when voice commands are on. Not sure why.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'm more disturbed by the fact that someone still listens to Collective Soul than the phantom ipod touch. :D

10. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Hey guys, what areyou talking about? what are collective soul and the phantom:confused:

11. malikk macrumors member

I have had this hapen before too. Not sure but when my ipod touch is in my jean pocket sometimes it will start playing. I assume it is because of the way i move? Creeps me out when i hear voices coming from my pocket!

12. tablo13 thread starter macrumors 65816

tablo13

Shake to Shuffle was off, but I think it's that my arm touched the screen or pressed the home button somehow. The song was definitely paused because it suddenly played the last song played in a quiet class on full volume (then everyone starts looking at me since the song playing was Get Crazy).

13. Shadow Knight W macrumors newbie

Shadow Knight W

Are you using the headphones with the mic on them?

14. tablo13 thread starter macrumors 65816

tablo13

No, it suddenly played a song through the speakers.

15. waterben macrumors newbie

Ipod touch auto start playing songs..

someone posted this up there.. it's correct.. i am experiencing this too.

does anyone have any idea how to disable this "Hold Home Button Turns On Voice Command" thingy please?

Thank :)

>if you hold the home button, it turns on voice commands, which in your pocket the ipod starts trying to understand the random noise. Just yesterday, I turned on voice command forgetting what I wanted to play and ended up saying nothing. The random noise in a Subway made my ipod think I wanted to play all songs by Collective Soul. Just a thought.

16. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Ass-less chaps...

I find this happening too when I am wearing my assless chaps, I am sure the OP is having the same issue wearing his....