How does new Macbook pro connect with E-sata?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JimmyChen, Jul 26, 2009.

1. JimmyChen macrumors newbie

Hi
    I am a newer for Mac. I am wondering that since Apple took off the express card slot, How to connect E-sata device to the new macbook pro 15 inch?:confused:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

There is one option, and one only, that I know of:

http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-spyder/

...of course it will limit you to FW800 speeds. Also bear in mind that it will only support "direct connect" esata devices, which from what I understand rules out most devices sporting both USB & eSATA connections. I don't really understand why, but that's what Firmtek told me - "It will not work with hybrid enclosures that include eSATA/USB and/or FireWire".

But the general answer is... you can't. One of the reasons why taking the expresscard away was a really dumb move, if they wanted to get rid of expresscard they should have at least added an esata port, but with Apple that seems unlikely ever to happen.

4. JimmyChen thread starter macrumors newbie

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I did a search on line and found a USB to eSATA adapter = how useless as it defeats the speeds gained by using the eSATA in the first place...

6. norliss macrumors newbie

Wow, that truly is useless but I bet there are some muppets out there that believe they would get eSATA speeds from it :D

7. pnyc macrumors 6502

Yeah no e-sata for the new MBPs, at least not one that makes sense, FW800 is your best beat if you can go that route.

8. iCan2 macrumors newbie

17" MBP with express card ports

Yes - they still have express card ports on the 17" models only. I really do wonder why none of the other models omitted an eSATA II connector. It seems very silly when you are working on a pro line of computer!