How does NEW macbook screen compare against OLD MBP??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vakej, Oct 31, 2008.

1. vakej macrumors member

Hello:

I have the last generation macbook pro 15" (2.4GHz, 200HD, 2GB). I was thinking of selling it and getting the new macbook (I want something smaller).

I've seen a lot of screen comparisons between the new MB, MBA, and MBP. General concensus that the MB doesn't have the same screen. Better color representation on the MBP and MBA (blacks are "blacker", etc).

Question being, how does the old MBP screen compare against the new MB? Which has a better screen (e.g., better color representation)?

Thx,
    VJ

2. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

Macbook Pro> Alu Macbook Pro> Alu Macbook> Macbook

3. MacJenn macrumors regular

New Alu Macbook Pro> old Macbook Pro> Previous gen Macbook> new alu Macbook

Yes I did a large number of comparisons and owned the previous gen Macbook, new gen Macbook, new gen Pro, and have seen a number of people with the older Pro (those are really nice also).

4. PresentACat macrumors regular

TNT just collected my 2.4 Alu Macbook at my request. I'm afraid no matter where the screen ranks against the rest of the range, it is not nearly good enough considering the £1150 asking price, you could pay half that and get a screen twice the quality.
    This isn't me being an obsessive, or being spoilt with great hardware from before, it just doesn't even know what black is. At least only half the screen can know black at any one time.

5. MacJenn macrumors regular

I don't blame you one bit. The new Macbook's screen is horrible. What are you planning to buy now?

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If you're looking at just the screen, your MBP is better. Period.

The rest of the computer is nice and if you're using an ext. display. it'll be fantastic but if you have any concerns of screen quality/usability, stick with the MBP.

7. PresentACat macrumors regular

I am considering a move to the Pro or Air. Although since the Alu Macbook was my first experience of Apple I feel a bit of a chump for basically playing Mr Job's game and buying more expensive computers just to get the type of screen that could easily have been fitted to the already expensive Macbook.

Other thing is I NEED to run Office '07, it is an excellent program and all the computers at my University run Office '07 (Office 08 for Mac is not good enough) and so I must use Bootcamp, and I was very very unimpressed by the DREADFUL trackpad drivers for Vista at least.