Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivDetox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I always hear about OtterBox and Speck when it comes to iPhone cases. How come Spiegen doesn't have their name out there?

I've seen a couple video reviews on their cases, mostly positive. I ordered the tough armor for iphone 5s today. The colors look very nice. Very conservative, and nothing thats too flashy for me.

Is there a reason they're not known? Everything about their cases seems good. They're very cheap and I've seen a drop test video where the case fared very well.

imnofanboy

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Dude, what are you talking about? Seems like Spigen is more than well known. Lot's of users are buying their cases and accessories. Did you read any of the threads? They're probably making mad money right now.

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I always hear about OtterBox and Speck when it comes to iPhone cases. How come Spiegen doesn't have their name out there?

I've seen a couple video reviews on their cases, mostly positive. I ordered the tough armor for iphone 5s today. The colors look very nice. Very conservative, and nothing thats too flashy for me.

Is there a reason they're not known? Everything about their cases seems good. They're very cheap and I've seen a drop test video where the case fared very well.

You must buy your phone cases at AT&T/Verizon store, huh?

ivDetox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
You must buy your phone cases at AT&T/Verizon store, huh?

Last time I checked my att store didn't have any spiegen cases but alrighty :)

----------

Dude, what are you talking about? Seems like Spigen is more than well known. Lot's of users are buying their cases and accessories. Did you read any of the threads? They're probably making mad money right now.

Maybe only in these forums. Never heard of them and just learned about them when I was browsing these forums. Everywhere else, its all OtterBox lol

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I've always used Otterbox cases but went with Spigen this time since OB didn't have their 6+ cases ready. Got it today, the Tough Armor. I think it'll be a nice case, nice design and most of the protection but a lot less bulk. Then I'm going to slap a Zagg glass screen protector on the front.

I'll probably end up buying an Otterbox too once they become available, I do think they make the most protective cases (I have the Armor now and it can be run over by a car without damaging the phone!) and I've always been happy with them.

Ocellaris

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013
I've always used Otterbox cases but went with Spigen this time since OB didn't have their 6+ cases ready. Got it today, the Tough Armor. I think it'll be a nice case, nice design and most of the protection but a lot less bulk. Then I'm going to slap a Zagg glass screen protector on the front.

I'll probably end up buying an Otterbox too once they become available, I do think they make the most protective cases (I have the Armor now and it can be run over by a car without damaging the phone!) and I've always been happy with them.

I am using a Tough Armor case on my 6 and I think it's garbage. Barely any front lip to protect the screen, the TPU is more plastic then rubber, the buttons are hard to feel out, two out of my three headphones don't fit in the audio port, and the plastic is slippery.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
The were relatively unknown a year or two ago, but now they are quite popular (have seen people in Europe and Asia rocking them as well). I think Costco has begun to carry them as well. My experience with them has been overwhelmingly positive but I have heard that their leather cases (folio style) are not worth the cost. The Tough armor in my opinion is an awesome case and I have personally used it and the slim armor (prefer the tough armor) on the iPhone and the Neo hybrid on the nexus 5. I bought a cheap Spigen FIT series (7) case for my 6. Its exactly what was advertised, slim, minimalistic case with minimal protection. I only require protection from scratches and dings so wasn't looking for a tough armor type case but if I were i'd choose TA any day given my past experience.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Ive been using Spigen cases since they came out and I have no idea what you are talking about!!! Everyone knows about Spigen and half their cases are sold at Meijer and Wal-Mart!

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Has anyone tried the Neo Hybrid on their 6 or 6 plus yet? Does it add a lot of bulk? Or is it considered a "slim" case?

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
If you search this site you will find other products that are better than what they sell at most retail stores.

phx

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Last time I checked my att store didn't have any spiegen cases but alrighty :)

I was making a joke. Spigen cases are only found online on Amazon and spigen.com. Spigen does not sell to the there products at retail stores like Best Buy, Apple, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

Huge Spigen display at my Walmart this am. Only cases they had were Spigen.

Reksy

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
Has anyone tried the Neo Hybrid on their 6 or 6 plus yet? Does it add a lot of bulk? Or is it considered a "slim" case?

be careful with those. Theyre 12 bucks on amazon cause theres some sort of issue with the fit.

ivDetox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I purchased a tough armor for my 5s and I hope it lives up to the positive reviews.

The number one thing I hate about otterbox cases is that sometimes their silicon starts to peel off. It doesn't fit the phone well after a while, and when I have a piece of silicone just sticking out of my phone, it just bothers me.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I purchased a tough armor for my 5s and I hope it lives up to the positive reviews.

The number one thing I hate about otterbox cases is that sometimes their silicon starts to peel off. It doesn't fit the phone well after a while, and when I have a piece of silicone just sticking out of my phone, it just bothers me.

No need to worry about the otter box defender this time around. The outer case is totally different than even their IP5 line. Only issue is the buttons are hard to press.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH

I have one. My thoughts...
> Buttons sometimes don't register...spigen has sent an email out to (most) purchasers saying they are sending rubber shims that help.
> The bumper part is a bit slick
> The ring/silence switch is hard to reach unless you have a bit of fingernail.
> Light weight, adds very little bulk, more width than thickness.
> extruding camera lens is no longer an issue with the case.

Hope this was helpful. Here are some pics...I happen to do computer hardware reviews and have a nice little photo both setup.

spigen-1.jpg

spigen-2.jpg

spigen-3.jpg

spigen-4.jpg

spigen-5.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.