Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
For my work I do a lot of screengrabs and want to be able to change the default file save in Preview to .jpg not .png. Is this a Preview issue or a screengrab issue?

Is there a way to do this?

(I did search but 'preview' just returns way too many hits)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
For my work I do a lot of screengrabs and want to be able to change the default file save in Preview to .jpg not .png. Is this a Preview issue or a screengrab issue?

Is there a way to do this?

(I did search but 'preview' just returns way too many hits)

Screen captures aren't saved in Preview. They're saved to your drive. Preview is simply one of many apps you can use to view images, whether they're from screencaps or other sources.

To change the default format for screencap images, type the following in Terminal.app:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg​
To change the default folder for screencap images, type the following in Terminal.app:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture location "/Users/username/Desktop/" (or whatever path you prefer)​

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Screen captures aren't saved in Preview. They're saved to your drive. Preview is simply one of many apps you can use to view images, whether they're from screencaps or other sources.

To change the default format for screencap images, type the following in Terminal.app:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg​
To change the default folder for screencap images, type the following in Terminal.app:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture location "/Users/username/Desktop/" (or whatever path you prefer)​

Thanks for your quick response!

I usually use command+control+shift+4 for my screengrabs and then paste into Preview in case I need to make notes etc - will your first terminal command change the default screengrab into clipboard?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for your quick response!

I usually use command+control+shift+4 for my screengrabs and then paste into Preview in case I need to make notes etc - will your first terminal command change the default screengrab into clipboard?
No, only if you screencap directly to a file. I know of no way to change Preview's default format for saving files from the clipboard. If you're doing a lot of screen captures, however, saving to a file is much quicker, since you don't have to first paste to Preview, then save from Preview. You can save directly to a folder, then double-click the file to edit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.