How does one connect the MacBook Pro to a Brother MFC 9700 for printing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gbw, Oct 1, 2011.

1. gbw macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro laptop computer and already own a Brother 9700 MFC laser printer and copier. How do I connect them? What equipment and software do I need? Please be specific. Thank you.

2. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Am I missing something? I have a different Brother model, but, what I did was get the MBP on the Internet, and then plug in the Brother USB cable ...

OS X immediately recognized that I needed to update the Brother drivers, automatically downloaded the updates, and, I was up and running almost immediately. (That was SL; Lion may different.)

4. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

I also own a Brother MFC (different model though) and my 2011 MBP seemed to already have the necessary drivers installed... I even hooked the printer up to my router and used it wirelessly without any additional software.

5. gbw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the posts

Update:

I connected the MacBook Pro to the Brother MFC 9700 with a 6' USB-A Centronics Parallel Printer Cable from Gigaware bought at Radio shack for $29.95

So if anyone is in the same situation the above worked perfectly for me. Thanks again for the shares.