How does one remove an app from the iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tom G., Jul 11, 2009.

1. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I do not just mean turn off its icon by using the iTunes sync page, I mean to even remove it from that page so that it is like it was never there. I have several free apps that I have decided I don't want, and would like to totally remove them.

Thank you for any info,

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

source

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If I understand you correctly as to what you want to do, just click and hold on one of the icons until they start jiggling, then select the "x" next to the apps you want to delete.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You don't hold the home button, you click and hold an icon.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Then once it is off your phone, go in to iTunes and delete it from the list there and you shouldn't see it again. The good thing is, too, that even if you delete a paid app from both the phone and the iTunes page you can still download it for free at a later date should you choose to do so.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I must be on something. Yeah, you click and hold the icon!

7. JeffMonty macrumors member

To delete the applications from your computer (and your iphone) click Applications on the left bar in iTunes. Then right-click on the app that you want to delete and click Delete. That will delete the app entirely from your computer.

8. Vidder macrumors regular

Vidder

you totally added the word "home" to his quote. He never said hold the 'home' button.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, I did, I made a mistake earlier and edited it. Look closer about me being on crack. See???

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why would I do that?
    Thanks for the clarification :)

11. dlemmon macrumors regular

just some background info

it uses a two way sync, so if you delete it from iTunes, and still have it on your phone, it puts it back on the computer. if you only delete it from your phone iTunes will put it back on the iPhone.

another way is to uncheck the app, sync, disconnect the iPhone, then delete the app from the computer.

this can be kinda annoying at first

12. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Did you mead deleating off your phone?

When you delete and app, it is like trashig a file. Although the icon is gone and links to
    the data may be broke, It still remains until it is overwritten (and can possibly be retrieved if the phone is hacked).

There are Apps that over-write "free space" on the phone to make recovery of old apps and data more difficult.

I’ve got the App iErase, ( http://www.zdziarski.com/projects/ierase/) ,

(I think that it only zeros the data once. I’m not sure if on solid-state memory how this compares to secure-delete of hard drives when you can do multiple over-writes.)

Though I'm sure there are others.