iPhone 6(S)(+) How does one update to iOS12 from 10.0.1

mspman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
So I have an iPhone 6Plus that's been my trusty backup, and as such, I haven't kept it updated. It's still on 10.0.1. When I try to update OTA, no dice. Usually it hangs, sometimes it says "Your iphone is up to date" (albeit in Italian, but hey).

When I connect to iTunes on my MBP, it says it needs "a software update" before it can upgrade to iOS 12 but doesn't specify what that is. Then I click ok, wait for it, and then it comes back with "That update is no longer available from Software Update"..

So.. I'm in a pickle. I've heard good things about iOS 12 on iPhone 6 Plus so I wanted to give it a go.

Any ideas? Factory reset perhaps?

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
So I have an iPhone 6Plus that's been my trusty backup, and as such, I haven't kept it updated. It's still on 10.0.1. When I try to update OTA, no dice. Usually it hangs, sometimes it says "Your iphone is up to date" (albeit in Italian, but hey).

When I connect to iTunes on my MBP, it says it needs "a software update" before it can upgrade to iOS 12 but doesn't specify what that is. Then I click ok, wait for it, and then it comes back with "That update is no longer available from Software Update"..

So.. I'm in a pickle. I've heard good things about iOS 12 on iPhone 6 Plus so I wanted to give it a go.

Any ideas? Factory reset perhaps?
Do a backup then restore the phone. It should update to the newest iOS version.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
What version of iTunes? Need 12.8 on Mac for iOS 12.

Also, I'd reset the phone to factory settings, then try update, then restore the backup.

And: is the phone jail broke? If so, might be something with that causing issues.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
For some reason it's not working and at this point (mega time waster) it's not worth trying anymore. Just leave it on iOS 10 is my suggestion, especially since it's a backup phone.

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
thanks for sharing your experience. I too have a 6S Plus running iOS 10.3.3, and debated updating to iOS12. But I will just keep it now on 10.3.3. The apps can still update, but my AW3 can't work with such an old iOS.

Dented

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Google “dfu update” - in theory that process should make the current firmware on the phone irrelevant and force an update to the latest version. It can be a fiddle to get the phone into DFU mode but worth persevering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.