How does one upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by KoenigReinhold, Jul 2, 2010.

1. KoenigReinhold macrumors newbie

Hi

I finally have a bootable upgrade Windows 7 disc and on my system I run Windows XP via bootcamp.

How can I upgrade via bootcamp? Or do I need to delete the partition via bootcamp restore and then re-partition, and install like normal?

Thanks

2. aki macrumors 6502a

I'm not really a Windows person so I could be wrong, but I believe it's not possible to upgrade an XP system to Windows 7. You have to do an erase and install.

(Note this isn't anything to do with bootcamp per se, a Mac under bootcamp is exactly the same as a "real" PC, ie. if you could upgrade XP->Win7 on a Dell you'd be able to on your Mac as well.)

So yes, you'd need to erase and install, either from the Windows 7 install disc or if you prefer by zapping and recreating the bootcamp partition with bootcamp assistant. (I don't see why that would be necessary really though. Just do as the PC users would do.)

Good luck!

(Win7 is great by the way, and I say this as a Mac devotee.)

EDIT: I'm not sure if a "bootable upgrade Windows 7 disc" is some kind of special disc? Before you zap your XP install, you may just want to confirm that the disc you have will let you install Win7 from scratch (and isn't some kind of upgrade only deal where you have to have a Vista install in place to be able to get Win7). Just check to be safe.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member