Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I switched from 2- year contract to NEXT for this year's iPhone using Apple Store app preorder with no hiccups (besides store app not working at 3:00 AM). Now I am reading about people having trouble ordering online for in-store pickup. If I pay off my 12-month NEXT plan next August before release of 2015 iPhone, will there be limitations in pre-ordering next year's phone? The reason I am asking is because I could just pay off in full now and not take advantage of interest-free NEXT loan if it's going to mess me up for next year. Just confused how this all works. I would call and ask ATT but haven't had great luck in past getting knowledgeable agents to talk to.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Right now, you can't use AT&T Next for in-store pickups from Apple period. It doesn't matter if you're just starting with Next or not. However, there's a strong possibility that you'd have to go through AT&T if you have an existing Next installment and would like to do trade in.

I plan on keeping my phone so I plan on doing the same thing as you and paying off the remainder of the balance on month 10/11 to ensure the account is all cleared away should I choose to buy the new iPhone. At that point, it's just as if I'm paying for the $199/299/399/499 upfront + upgrade fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.