How does Pre-ordering work?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Redrum509, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Redrum509 macrumors regular

This will be my first time buying a Apple product on launch and I was wondering How the pre-ordering works. If the ipad 3 is going to have the option to pre-order on Apple.com how does it work? Do you actually pay for it online than go to the store on launch and just pick it up? Or do you pre-order online than pay when you get to the store?

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

you order online ... they then ship it to you

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

typically you pre-order at the online store and it is shipped to you with the delivery date being the same as the release date.

4. Redrum509 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh ok. I was hoping to pick it up at the store but if it delivers on launch that is fine with me also. Thanks.

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

There was no pre-order for the iPad 2, so there may or may not be for the 3.

6. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

I doubt there wil be per-order for the iPad 3. Will go one sale online usually around 2 or 3 am local time on release day, and then it ships in approx. 2-3 weeks.

7. Redrum509 thread starter macrumors regular

Really? I have some people saying it will be delivered on release and you saying 2-3 weeks? lol wtf

8. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

They took pre-oreders for the original iPad which delivered launch day (for many people), not for the iPad 2. I suspect they will follow the same ordering model as the iPad 2, and there was no pre-order, just online ordering starting in the early AM of launch day with 2-3 week delivery (dropped to 4-5 weeks within an hour).

9. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I'm not so sure - I'm wondering if the lack of preorders for the 2 was because they knew there'd be shortages due to the Japanese earthquake, and didn't want to sell out before release day. How would it have looked if preorders had a 3-4 week shipping period?

Without any shortages this time, they might do preorders again. I wouldn't count on it, though.

10. urkel macrumors 68030

FYI, every answer you see is someones best guess and not fact since Apple hasn't been consistent with their launch plans.

Midnight online preorder
    2AM Online Preorder
    5PM In Store launch
    10AM In Store Launch
    Delivery Day of Release
    Delivery 2-3 weeks after release
    No Preorders
    In Store pickup
    No In Store Pickup

Take a pick from the list and maybe you'll be right but most likely you'll be wrong because the world has changed a lot in the last two years and nobody knows how Apple will adapt to it.

11. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

There is no guarantee that there will even be a preorder this year. Either way we'll all find out soon when Apple announces the iPad 3.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Wasn't the ipad2 announced on March 2nd and the earthquake & tsunami several days later on March 11th? That would be pretty amazing (and disturbing) if Apple had foreknowledge of the earthquake/tsunami... :D

13. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Ha, guess not then. :) The earthquake did cause component shortages, but I have no clue why no preorder then. I guess just to ensure longer lines at release...:rolleyes:

14. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

I think it will be first come first serve so get in the queue! :D

15. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Wait til the 7th and visit this website again. I'm sure there will be more details around then! :)

16. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    If you plan to order on line, be sure to contact your credit card company and let them know you will be placing the order and give them the amount. Some credit card companies may not allow the transaction to go through until they contact you to confirm it, especially if it is in the $600-$800 range.

That's precisely what happened to me when I ordered my 32GB/3G iPad 2. I have an excellent credit rating, but the company (BOA) would not approve the transaction because they thought it was fraudulent. Maybe the fact I got up at 4 a.m. launch day to place the order had something to do with it, but I was furious they didn't contact me because by the time I discovered it, the delivery time had changed from two weeks to four weeks.

I switched to a different card and fortunately Apple was quite terrific and kept my order in the original delivery queue.

Your other option, which will appear on the online order site, is to split the purchase amount between two credit cards.

17. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

As it seems that Apple is building up stock of iPad 3 I would expect that if you can order at the very start of the process then you will receive it in a week or so. Once those are sold out then orders are fulfilled as new ones are built which would likely mean a three or four week delay.