Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I recently asked Apple for a replacement on my current rMBP. But I thought it was too much of a hassle because I was told I could not keep my current one until replacement comes. ( I don't want to get a worsen product)

They sent me confirmation email from UPS to confirm replacement but I did not confirm it. Now I just been notified that a current replacement has shipped today and is one its way.

My current rMBP is passed its 14 day return , when I receive the replacement and decide to return it, is it still possible?

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
I recently asked Apple for a replacement on my current rMBP. But I thought it was too much of a hassle because I was told I could not keep my current one until replacement comes. ( I don't want to get a worsen product)

They sent me confirmation email from UPS to confirm replacement but I did not confirm it. Now I just been notified that a current replacement has shipped today and is one its way.

My current rMBP is passed its 14 day return , when I receive the replacement and decide to return it, is it still possible?

Well, if a new one is sent to you, you will need to give them the old one or the replacement back. Either way, you initiated the return before the 14 day return period expired. Although, I don't know why they sent you one if you didnt confirm it like they asked.

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Well, if a new one is sent to you, you will need to give them the old one or the replacement back. Either way, you initiated the return before the 14 day return period expired. Although, I don't know why they sent you one if you didnt confirm it like they asked.

Oh okay, thank you that makes sense. I told the apple employee that I didn't want to waste my time and take the risk for replacement. Since it's already shipped I wouldn't mind waiting to see if the replacement would be better than my current one.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

Every situation like this is on a case by case basis. It's not often that Apple will ship a replacement without billing you in case they don't get the first one back.

Usually they ask to have the first one returned, they inspect it, then issue a credit. At that point a new order is taken and the process starts anew.

At least that's been my personal experience.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
When I returned my 13" MBP due to a faulty optical drive, they let me keep the faulty one, and then when UPS came with the new one we did a swap.

Like someone said, i think Apple deal with each one case by case.

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
When I returned my 13" MBP due to a faulty optical drive, they let me keep the faulty one, and then when UPS came with the new one we did a swap.

Like someone said, i think Apple deal with each one case by case.

I'd love to do a swap, but I don't want to swap for a more defected product you know?

I'll mail back whichever is worse

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I'd love to do a swap, but I don't want to swap for a more defected product you know?

I'll mail back whichever is worse

If apple did allow you to do a swap, I am not sure the UPS guy will hang around while you power it on to check for all the various things, etc.

If the replacement is defective then you can send that back too - sounds a pain but Apple are pretty good when it comes to Customer care/returns.

If you make Time Machine backups, restoring to a new laptop is very painless.

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
If apple did allow you to do a swap, I am not sure the UPS guy will hang around while you power it on to check for all the various things, etc.

If the replacement is defective then you can send that back too - sounds a pain but Apple are pretty good when it comes to Customer care/returns.

If you make Time Machine backups, restoring to a new laptop is very painless.

When my replacement comes I'll use time machine on my new HDD that I just bought :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.