How does retina display work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by malistrais, May 25, 2014.

1. malistrais macrumors newbie

so i'm debating between a MBA and a rMBP as my first foray into Apple-land, and I'm a bit perplexed on "retina" and how it relates to resolution...

I understand the concept of retina, in that it's meant to prevent the distinguishing of individual pixels. What i don't understand is scaling, "best" resolutions, and how all of that relates to how things look on the screen (aside from just appearing sharper).

The MBA native res is 1440x900 and the rMBP native res is 2560x1600. That retina resolution doesn't seem very "usable" on a 13" screen. And I've seen information thrown around about cutting that in half as a useable resolution (which would be lower than the MBA).

I guess I'm just really confused. Because as far as I can tell, retina is really just about the lack of visible pixels and not necessarily higher useable screen real estate?

Does anyone have a good resource they can point me to? :)

Thanks!

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

The retina means your eyes can't distinguish the pixels at normal viewing distance so the display looks amazingly sharp. Text especially.
    More pixels=smaller pixels
    Smaller pixels=harder to distinguish pixels
    Harder to distinguish pixels=sharper display

3. malistrais thread starter macrumors newbie

cool, that's what i expected.

how does it relate to screen real estate though? in other words, what is the "effective" screen resolution for day-to-day tasks (working on a word doc, writing code, browsing the web, etc.)?

thanks!

4. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

The actual resolution of the display is what you mentioned in your first post, 2560X1600. You can use all the pixels.

5. malistrais thread starter macrumors newbie