How does SC2 play on a 2,4 GHZ mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mocca-bear, Sep 9, 2010.

1. mocca-bear macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

New to the forum and all but I've read a lot of good and insightfull comments and info from most you people active on these boards. I am really thrilled to finally take the plunge and return to Apple hardware with a 2.4 mbp. Have to wait a bit until the antiglare screen arrives but that is besides the point.

Quite a number of my friends have been boasting SC2 since release and I was wondering if anyone here has played it on a MBP. If so, does the computer handle the game well?

2. JDNGuru macrumors member

I just bought a MBP 2.4 ghz. I left the PC world for the MAC world. I'm about to install SC2 and I'll let you know.

3. mocca-bear thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe, beginning to notice more people are in the same boat each day.

But thanks, SC2 will hopefully be one the the many enjoyable things I'll be doing on my Macbook. doing some research right now as to what apps are usefull and nice to have.

4. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Assuming you mean a NEW MBP, 2.4GHz can mean two totally different things. 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 13" with Geforce 320M (integrated) OR 2.4GHz Core i5 15" with Geforce 330M (dedicated).

World of difference there...

5. cookieronster macrumors member

well, please elaborate more which mbp you are using, what size is the screen? for instance 2.4ghz is available in both 13" c2d or 15" i5 chipset. also there were late 08 unibody pro 15" that use a different video card than the gt320/330

6. tiwizard macrumors regular

That would have to be a 15/17 because the 13" doesn't have an AG screen

7. thecarrot macrumors regular

On OS X? Low to medium settings. Windows? At least medium.

8. mocca-bear thread starter macrumors newbie

The MBP I'll be using will be the latest, that is to say a;

15,4" MBP
    Intel core i5 2.4 Ghz.
    4 gb ram
    A 5400 rpm hdd
    Antiglare high res screen
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Hope that this will make my question easier to answer.

Edit:

Also depending on a vast difference in performance I'd be playing on OSX.

9. x0r-lord macrumors member

That has the 265MB 330GT
    I'm sure it'll be fine, on Default settings at 1440x900.
    I'm running it on the higher model 15" (mb373ll/a) and it runs good, except for large games filled with many units. there really is no comparison to gaming on a desktop, but for mobile gaming its decent.

only real difference between our computers is that mine has the 620M core i7 processor, which has .44Mhz faster on 4 logical cores, and 512 MB of Video RAM on the same graphics processor.

aside question: whats a really lite on resources frame rate monitor?

10. ljx718 macrumors 6502

well 2.4 mbp can be can be any number of laptops with different gpus

11. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I play SC2 with my MBP.

15" 2.66 i7 HR AG with 128GB SSD and 8GB of RAM.

After playing for 20 minutes, I can turn my MBP over and fry an egg no problem. Temps go into the 90's easily (CELSIUS!).

Runs great and the graphics are awesome but the heat it produces is crazy, not to mention the sound of the fans at full blast.

12. JDNGuru macrumors member

13. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

If it's any indication of how your system will run the game, I have an older C2D 8600m MBP, and I can run the game comfortably at medium settings at very playable framerates.

14. zagu macrumors newbie

There are gameplay videos on youtube that will give you an idea. I've been looking at the 13" ones as that's the one I'm contemplating about buying and SC2 seems to be somewhere between kinda sluggish and nearly flawless on the 2010 13" depending on settings and OS X vs Bootcamped Windows, so I'd expect the 15" one to run it pretty much perfectly, but I have no first hand experience.