How does Siri "know"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rbh0514, Oct 14, 2011.

1. rbh0514 macrumors newbie

I am set to get my new iPhone today (pending UPS is accurate) and had a question about Siri.

The most useful feature to me is the location based reminders. "Remind me to grab my lunch when I go home", things like that. How does Siri "know" when you are home? Is this a location based setting through contacts, a setting in Fine My Friends? Or does it simply do it by time? Around 12:00pm it alerts you.

Any one know this answer? Im excited to get my phone and try out Siri hands on.

Cheers!

2. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure the first time you say that it will ask you where home is and than it will just remember.

3. rbh0514 thread starter macrumors newbie

This would seem to make the most sense. I guess I can figure it out for sure when I get my phone today.

Thanks!

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Yes, Siri needs to learn where home is. Actually the Reminders app needs to learn it, though it will try to use the address in your contact record first - as identified in settings.

5. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Yeah thats what it does and it sets up a geofence (ooooooo!) so that it knows when you have arrived.

6. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I've tried out location based reminders on my 4, and the battery drain is also surprisingly small. It's not like running turn-by-turn non-stop. I can certainly see myself using this.

7. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

8. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I was wondering about this. That is good though, I was not going to use it since I want my battery to last but if the drain is minimal than thats a whole different story.

9. mfor1234 macrumors member

You set one of the contacts as "me" - so that's how it knows home (your address) and then everything else is based on contacts.

So you'd then add an address labelled "work" to notify you when you get to work. Or you could add a new contact for "University" with an address to match it, so that when you say "remind to return my books when I get to University" it'll match that contact.

Hope that helps.