How does Siri recognise first names

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KeithJenner, Oct 14, 2011.

1. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

One thing I've been wondering, and can't check myself as I'm not going to get my hands on my 4s until Monday now.

In the Siri demos people refer to contacts by their first names and it identifies them from your contacts. I assume that if you say "text Steve" and you have more than one Steve in your contacts that Siri will ask you which one you mean. Does it then remember that for future use?

That would make sense to me, but I'm interested to check. I have quite a few friends with the same first names and it could be a source of confusion.

Thanks

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Use their last name in the command. Problem solved.

Test Steve Smith

3. KeithJenner thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not a problem. I'm interested to know how it works.

4. SK818 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Yes, It'll ask you which "steve" and then you say, but I don't think it will remember that specific "steve" considering that you'll always have more than one "steve", or maybe I just don't understand what you mean.

5. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

does it recognize non-american, non-english foreign names? Can someone please try?

6. KeithJenner thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I think you did understand what I meant.

The reason why I thought it may remember, or at least offer to remember, is that we all have contacts that we text more often. For example, if you have two Steves in your contacts, one being your best friend and the other being an obscure contact from work then it would be handy to be able to say "text Steve" without Siri always asking for clarification.

Not a big issue, but I can see that I will have to make some changes to my contacts if that is the case (and if I get on with using Siri)