How does sleep function, exactly? (macbook)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sceneshifter, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Hey, I'm completely new t the laptop world, and I see here the function Sleep.

What exactly does this do and how long does it take before it goes into sleep?
    I suppose it uses less battery, but how much less? Is it almost the same as if I turned it off?

How long does it take the harddrive to 'park' itself?

Is it safe to transport my laptop in sleep modus? I find the idea of closing the lid (and putting it in sleep like this) and transporting it, extremely nice, but don't want to break the laptop by not being fully aware of what sleep does exactly...

Thanks!

Ps: The macbook & OS X are awesome!!!!

PPS: ANy way to click an icon and 'delete' it without having to right click on it to send it to trash? On Windows you'd select it and press the delete button..

2. Lau Guest

Hi Sceneshifter, your MacBook will last for ages in sleep mode (read: several days). It uses very little power. As for the harddrive parking, if you want to be really safe, wait for the little pulsating sleep light on the front to come on, and then it's safe to move it, as that means it's asleep and snoring.

It's designed to be perfectly transportable when asleep, so enjoy! I very, very rarely shut my laptop down – really only if I'm away for a week or so without it.

Edit: As for your other question, do you mean if you've added a custom icon to a file or folder? In that case, select the file/folder in question, and press Apple+I, and then select the icon at the top of the info window. Once it has a faint blue outline, press delete, and bobs yer uncle – original icon restored!

3. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Thanks man, awesome to hear it lasts for days! I really like the whole sleep idea, just pop the screen up and everything is there!

ANy pro-cons for putting your machine asleep vs shutting it down completely? (for a few nights or even just one etc..., I don't mean months of course)

About the deleting I mean, just anywhere, like in finder, there's a folder (that's what I meant with icon) and I want to 'delete' it. In windows, I click the folder (once) so it's selected, and then I press the DEL key. Now on a macbook there is no DEL key, but Fn + back replaces that, however when doing that it still doesn't DELete it. The only way to delete a folder etc... seems to be with right clicking, which I find a bit tedious.

Thanks!!

4. Lau Guest

Yup, it's the way to go. I don't think I could cope with a laptop without sleep. :) I usually shut it down after a week or so mainly because I suppose there's a chance the battery might become completely drained if it was left for that long. There's not really any reason either way – I suppose I just think it's a bit of a waste of power to leave it on for a whole week like that. Plenty of people leave their Macs on/asleep 24/7, so no harm there at all.

Aha! Well, if you press Apple+backspace, it sends it directly to the trash. Nice n simple! :)

No problem. :)

5. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

yer i know what u mean can it be done?

also is it possible to have no password so u dont have to keep clickin on the lil padlock to change setting

6. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Fantastic, perfect answer :)

7. Lau Guest

Do you mean in System Preferences? If you don't click the padlock to lock it after you've changed a setting it should just stay open for next time. If no-ones likely to fiddle with your settings, you can just leave it open (which is the same as having no password).

8. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

mine seems to relock itself each time and when i wke fro sleep i get the login scren where i just hit enter cani make it just boot to the desktop?

WOW cmd+bkspc is handy :)

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

there should be a setting under security in system preferences

10. Lau Guest

How strange – I just tried it with Energy Saver preferences (as an example) and when I slept and then went back in it was still open.

Edit: Nicely done, thejadedmonkey. :) Here 'tis:

yay.jpg

If you go to System Preferences>Accounts>Login Options and then select the box next "Automatically Log In As [DannyBres]" you'll just go straight in next time.

11. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

One question left: Is my mac asleep when that white light is ON, or should it be PULSATING? It doesn't pulsate at all, it's just 'on'... :eek::confused:

12. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

it's asleep when it's pulsating. if it's on, it means that the computer is in the process of going to sleep

13. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

In that case, it never goes to sleep, because it's never pulsating...

14. wesli_1 macrumors member

This is my understanding of how the sleep light works:

The sleep light on the comes on whenever the lid is closed.

The sleep light pulsating indicates the computer is actually asleep.

The sleep light on but not pulsating does not indicate the computer is going to sleep, as I am using my macbook right now with an external keyboard and monitor, and the "sleep" light is ON.

15. Tshapi macrumors regular

click on :apple: in the left hand corner. > system preferences... > energy saver > show details. this will show you whats up with your sleep mode.

also while your in system prefrences. you can personalize your laptop. by clicking on the different Icons.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

solid: still trying to sleep, maybe the hard drive is spinning while some system tasks are being performed. sometimes my mbp can take a few minutes to sleep. n.b. while it isnt asleep id recommened not running with it in your bag to school...it could cauz it to freeze up and have to restart it (personal experience hahahaha)

pulsating: fully asleep.

the only power that sleep uses is to maintain the memory from what i know.. not much else uses the power while asleep. RAM is the only reason why it needs to consume power, because RAM is non-volatile....