How does Snow Leopard affects MBP with GeForce 8600M GT?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Aug 29, 2009.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I am considering to upgrade the OS of my santa rosa MBP (summer 2007 model) to Snow Leopard. I read that SL takes advantage on the GPU. Does it make the machine runs hotter and the fan sounds louder? How likely will SL increase the chance of GPU failure? Thanks.

2. G. I. macrumors member

Maybe it's not a coincidence that SL uses video acceleration only on the 9600 GPU despite the 8600 has H.264 accelerator as well? Just saying.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

SL does not support GPGPU acceleration in the 8600GT, only in the later 9600.

no, not at all

0%

4. gorjan macrumors 6502

Hold your horses there... ;)

SL supports OpenCL on the 8600 so it should in fact increase the usage of the chip, and thereby increase the risk of failure.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

my mistake, i could have sworn support wasnt there for it. and the apple site refuses to load so i cant say for certain.

i have not seen tests on the GPU increase, but i dare-say the amount that it gets used is THAT much of an increase. seriously. it's not as if all CPU commands will be transferred over, there are only a small specific amount of things that are - such as converting/playback of videos, and number crunching. i wouldnt be surprised if the GPU doesnt get used anymore then it does now for everyday usage.

6. tedhogan macrumors member

It killed mine

I have a Macbook3,1 (JUL07 17" pro)

After upgrading to SL (several different times and with wiping the HDD), I now get the infamous NVDAResman.kext kernel panic when 3d is used (WOW, Fusion).

This sucks.

I'm going to call Apple and ask them. I think I may need to just get the darn chip replaced and my laptop should qualify for it.

:(

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

SL works great with 2007 SR models. What does not work is the original Tiger system restore disc. I don't know why, but I cannot install Tiger anymore...

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

firmware update no doubt..