How does the 2.0gHz macbook handle Garageband?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sk8mash, Jan 16, 2009.

1. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I'm about to buy the new macbook. Just want to check if the 2.0 can handle Garageband adequately? Can it handle 20 simultaneous tracks without lagging?

Thanks

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

i have the 2.4ghz macbook and i do use garageband quite a lot. mine handles it fine even with multiple tracks going. I dont know if the 2.0 would handle it just as good but im sure adding a bit of ram to the mix would probably help. Overall though i would reccomend the 2.4 just for that little bit of extra power.

3. fifthroot macrumors member

fifthroot

Processor speed will affect just that...speed. If you are concerned about multiple tracks being used simultaneously, you're looking for breadth. That means RAM. 4 gigs in a 2.0 will run better than a 2.4 with 2 gigs any day as far as multiple tracks in GarageBand and other memory-intensive applications are concerned.

4. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

i mix songs with 30 tracks and multiple plugins just fine on an alu 2.0. You'll have to lock tracks down for real work though... which is the same on bigger machines.

5. sk8mash thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

So the 2.0gHz with 4GB of Crucial Ram would be fine?

6. finnschi macrumors 6502

For Garageband of course, I had 30+trax on my old Dual G4... :cool:

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

My 1.83 CD WhiteBook with 2GB of RAM did fine with multiple tracks on Garageband, so I'm willing to bet the 2.0 Al 'Books will do just fine.