How does the 2017 MB compare to 2011 Mini?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ng7apoc, Aug 9, 2017.

1. ng7apoc macrumors member

Hi,

Currently I have a 2011 Mini 2.3Ghz, with 16GB RAM and SSD.

Originally I was planning on replacing it with a new MBP, but I'm having second thoughts and now think it would suit me best to get a MacBook and continue using the Mini for another 12-18 months before replacing the Mini with an iMac and the MacBook become a secondary machine.

A lot of my more extreme usage would be left to run overnight on the Mini (video encoding etc. so that would take the load of the MB) but otherwise the MacBook would become my main computer for at least a year so unless it was more powerful I'd need to rethink things and go with the original plan.

Sorry thats a bit long winded, I really just want to know how the 2017 MacBook compares to the 2011 Mini.

Thanks again :)

2. maerz001 macrumors 6502a

maerz001

The MB is more portable;)

Have a look at geekbench
    MB ssd is also much faster

3. c0ppo macrumors 65816

c0ppo

I own a 2012 mac mini, 2.6GHz, quad core, upgraded with 16GB of ram and 1TB SSD. So pretty much highest spec available. And I find that my 2016 rMB is (or just feels?) faster then mac mini. But I don't do video encoding, I'm a developer.

In every aspect rMB is a better machine. But for video editing I really couldn't tell :)

4. smacx macrumors newbie

Can you tell me what kind of work you are doing on the MacBook? I also have a 2012 maxed out mini and want to replace it with a i7 MacBook with 16GB. But I really don‘t want to get a slower mac than my beloved mini ;)

5. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Maxed out 2010 Mini (2.66 Core2Duo 16GB and 512GB SSD) versus maxed out 2017 MB here.

The MB really smokes the Mini on anything disk bound (like unpacking large archives*) and will more than hold it's water on everything else.

*actually it even beats the 2010 MacPro on these......

6. ng7apoc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input everyone, still thinking this over MBP seems a better fit for me but that form factor is appealing...