How does the 5S compare with Sony Point and Shoot?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidg4781, Feb 13, 2014.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

A few years back I bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-W220. It doesn't get used that often since I don't carry it with me. A few times I've forgotten it when going to family functions.

My question is, how does this compare to the camera in the 5S? There are different features such as burst mode and slow motion that are neat. The Sony will take a pic when everyone smiles.

How about photo quality? If I want to take really nice pictures is it better to use the Sony?

If the 5S is better, I'm thinking of selling the Sony. I've been kind of cleaning up stuff and looking to get rid of things before they get too old.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A quick google of DSC-W220 provides the following information
    Link to info

While the 5s camera has this information
    Bottom line P&S cameras offer more features, speed and performance then cameras on phones, at least for the time being.

The old adage still holds true however
    "The Best Camera Is The One You Have With You"

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

You could also try taking a few photos of the same subject with both cameras and compare them. Your pictures will only be as good as you view them.

4. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

The sony takes the win. I have one as well and it does take great high resolution photos. When i take a photo with the iphone it looks great on the screen but once i imported to a computer it does not look as great.

5. Radiating, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

Radiating macrumors 65816

The sony Cybershot DSC-W220 is inferior in every measurable way to the iPhone 5S camera at identical focal lengths.

The 5S has way more resolution (the Sony's lens is so bad that you only get around 5 megapixels of resolution on the 12 megapixel sensor), the 5S has way better noise handling, and the 5S has superior movie modes and burst frame rates.

However the 5S is NOT a zoom lens, so the Sony will be much better at zooming in. The 5S just magnifies it's image when you use zoom.

6. solo118 macrumors 65816

This.

If you are OK with not being able to zoom in (with high quality) or printing 8x10 photos the iphone 5S is a fine camera. I took plenty of photos on my 5S while on vacation. I printed out some 4x6 and 5x7s and they look phenomenal. I havent brought a P&S camera on vacation since the 4S was released.