How does the College Discount for Macs work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dilbaggins, Aug 13, 2009.

1. dilbaggins macrumors member

I'm planning on purchasing a Macbook Pro (13') on Monday and I was wondering how do you receive/get the $150 college student discount from Apple? I heard from a couple of friends that you just bring in your acceptance letter but I just wanna know 100%, Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep a Macbook secured/protected in a college dorm?

2. celticpride678

Bring in a student ID or a acceptance letter and show it to the sales person when purchasing the computer.

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

a)lock your door/lock it in your closet
    b)carry it with you at all times
    c)http://us.kensington.com/html/1434.html

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Some good steps for protection and not just against theft:

Make sure you use both a password and a boot password.
    Get Apple Care
    Don't forget that a backup is absolutely necessary as well. An external hard drive and time machine makes this easy.
    In addition, I'd recommend that you burn a CD/DVD (once a month?) and send it home for an offsite backup.

The most important thing to protect is actually the data. Apple care can cover defects, and insurance can get your computer replaced, but nothing but a good backup can bring back the term paper that is due in the morning.

6. dilbaggins thread starter macrumors member

Does the retail Apple stores sell refurbished Macs or is that strictly an online only deal?:apple:

7. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

I believe refurbs are only available through the online store.

And about the discount, once I had to provide the store with the zip code for my university. If you are using an acceptance letter that won't be a problem.

And the Kensington locks work well with the unibody notebooks because the lock slot is cut out of the solid frame. But they are more of a deterrent than protection because the cable can be cut easily with bolt cutters, but most thieves won't take the time to deal with it. Just make sure the other end is extremely secure if you use a lock cable. But angemon89's first two tips are usually all you need. They have worked for me for two years.

8. Mano21 macrumors newbie

Mano21

9. lavinci macrumors 6502

10. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

If you're not getting a 13", and want a 15 or 17 instead, use the apple student developer discount instead. It takes just 1-2 days to activate and all you have to do is email them a scan of your schedule/acceptance letter or similar.

The discount is around $400. I got a 17" MBP for $2039. Case closed.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Just to make a note, some users have been reported simply asked if they were a college student without any verification. While it is still person to person, Apple has seemed to let up in their standards.

12. kasakka macrumors 68000

Has anyone tried getting student discounts in a different country? Going to US soon and it would be nice to be able to buy Apple stuff with a student discount. Don't have a student ID but maybe I could just take something like a certificate (don't know what to call it, essentially it's a paper that says I attend school XYZ and have been present X semesters) with me?