How does the education discount work if you're an international student?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spongebodge, Jun 4, 2009.

1. spongebodge macrumors newbie

I was wondering how I would be able to get my Macbook this summer with the education discount. I'm Canadian but I'll be heading down to the US for university this fall. Ideally I want to get my laptop in the summer before school starts so I can set everything up and have it good to go once I get to college. So my question is: can I still buy from the Canadian store and get the education discount?
    I'll also be spending the majority of my summer in Hong Kong so (this is probably a longer shot) could I buy from the Hong Kong store and get the education discount? As far as I'm concerned there isn't an Apple store in HK; just some authorized resellers. Do they offer education discounts too or would it just be available online?

Any info's greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Canadian Online store: No
    Hong Kong Online Store: No
    In person: Yes, they'll probably honor it, at least at the CDN store, even now - if you have proof of enrollment / acceptance.

I had the same problem as you. It was frustrating because you can't get the faster hard drive in store - so if that's something you want you'll have to replace it yourself.

3. Aboo macrumors 6502a

You should be able to purchase your system from the Canadian online store as well. If they inspect your order and ask for enrollment details, you would just need to fax them your acceptance letter/matriculation letter for your US university. My sister had to do something similar when she was living in Canada and was accepted to Uni in the US.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've used my education discount overseas in-person and have just shown them my ID. Shouldn't be a problem if you're a canadian student buying the US.

5. spongebodge thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm an incoming freshman so I don't have my student ID card yet and I'm talking about buying outside of the US 'cause I know it'll definitely work if I wait till I get to the US...

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice and info. I should be able to figure out a way to get my discount one way or another :)

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Any proof of college enrollment will work. Admission acceptance, massive bill, even proof of financial aid should work.