How does the intel hd graphics compare to the nvidia 9400m?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enzojauregui, Apr 13, 2010.

1. enzojauregui macrumors member

I'm just wondering, now that that they have changed the integrated graphics in the 15 inch, how would the intel hd graphics compare with the old integrated graphics from nvidia (9400m)? For some users, they rarely had to change to the dedicated one since the integrated one was powerful enough for simple tasks. Would this stlll be the case for the intel one?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think they are worse than 9400M, about 50% I guess. New MBPs have auto-switching so when more power needed, it'll automatically change to 330M and no need to log out

3. enzojauregui thread starter macrumors member

that's nice, but wouldn't it have been nice if they had the integrated one was powerful enough for certain tasks? besides switching to the more powerful graphics card means less battery as well as more heat.

anyway, i guess apple was put into a situation where they had no choice with regard to the intel card, it is good that at least one can change graphics cards seamlessly

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

It's no worse than the 9400m. It is marginally better at best though.

5. enzojauregui thread starter macrumors member

are there any reviews or maybe benchmarks on the intel card? just want to know how it performs

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Actually, you're right, my bad. Saw an article in the past saying that they'll be ~50% worse than 9400M

9400M
    Intel graphics

7. enzojauregui thread starter macrumors member

oooooooohhhhhh, so the intel is at least as good as nvidia one, good to know. i thought apple had to compromise in using the intel integrated card

8. rpang macrumors member

If auto switching is going to take place when more power is needed, then it doesn't really matter whether or not the integrated is more powerful than the 9400m. In the past, it was an issue because you had to physically reboot the computer to switch cards which was a hassle.