how does the Internet work on a hacked iPhone??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nlivo, Nov 11, 2007.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I live in Australia and I was just wondering (this doesnt necessarily have to be about people using it in Australia, just someone who has hacked it and not using it where it is available)........if I have hacked an iPhone does it connect to the Internet without Wi-Fi?? Can it use other network's EDGE?? If it can't I don't really see the point in hacking it and using it where it isn't available. So yeah, that's basically my question.

2. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Yes, I've got a FULLY UNLOCKED iPhone on 1.0.2 and it works fine on Wi-Fi and EDGE!

I've had no problems, a few of my friends have tried upgrading the firmware to 1.1.1 but I've just left mine on 1.0.2

Why change it around if its not working?

3. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

It works fine. If there's no EDGE available it just uses GPRS!

4. nlivo thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow. that is awesome! i heard somewhere that some guys, friends, father's, best mate's, co-worker's, brother's iPhone didn't work on EDGE and that it was basically useless without Wi-Fi. Now I am very tempted to get one. Thanks heaps for that.

5. nlivo thread starter macrumors 6502a

how about billing?? I'm guessing it wouldnt be unlimited usage like AT&T have etc. Do you have to pay fees like you would normally? What happens if you chuck a pre-paid sim into it and used the Internet, how would that work?? Thanks.

6. sparkyms macrumors 65816

it'd probably rag the credit down to nothing in a matter of minutes. It's not the phoen that gives you unlimited data, its the tariff of the contract...

You're better off getting some sort of contract with data included, otherwise you'll just spend stupid amounts of money.

7. thetonyclifton macrumors regular

how much data would an average user use in a month if not on an unlimited plan? eg vodafone uk offer 120mb for £7.50 a month...I am light user only a few emails a day will this cover me? Can I get mail to only check my mail when i want it to...will this turnoff edge the rest of the time?

8. sparkyms macrumors 65816

You can set mail checking to manual, so it will only check when you click the mail app. I would have thought that 120MB would suffice to be honest, I've had the thing 4 days and used 20MB but thats because ive been playing with it a hell of a lot. If you're just checking emails and the odd website then i'd say you'll be fine.