Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
How does the iPhone replacement program work nowadays? Do they open a brand new iPhone box? Seeing that it's only been a little while since the iPhone 6 is released...
I remember getting a replacement for my iPhone 4 a while back... and it came from a dodgy brown box...and the quality just wasnt the same.... the screen wasnt as good as the original and it just didnt 'feel' as solid.

Anyone had their iPhone 6 exchanged that can chime in?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't have an iPhone 6 or 6+ but I've had my iPhone 5 replaced twice, the last time being late August of this year.

Replacements come in a white box. They are either a mix of new or refurb phones. Refurbs go through the same process as new phones as far as quality testing. They get a new case and every part that fails testing is replaced. Refurbs are indistinguishable from new.

Being that the iPhone 6/6+ is less than two months old your chances of white box replacement as new will probably be pretty good though.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
How does the iPhone Replacement Program Work?

This time it is a "dodgy" white box.

----------

Also, if you play the "exchange game" because of a very slight/minor cosmetic issue, you might get something worse.

Just letting you know.

----------

Apple Quality Control has been seriously lacking.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Replacements are made up of the following...

1, brand new devices made specifically for warranty stock.
2, re manufactured iPhones from devices that have failed initial production line qc.
3, remanufactured device return's

The remanufactured devices from 2&3 will be perfect in condition so you shouldn't worry. Option 3 also changes during the devices cycle switching to a recycle option where by if the device is returned it is sent for recycling rather than being retooled.

Tbh op try finding one manufacturer that offers the same service as apple. Trust me you won't.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Tbh op try finding one manufacturer that offers the same service as apple. Trust me you won't.

Actually, Bose comes pretty close. If the cord on their earphones break, or if the ear pads on their headphones wear out, a phone call and they'll mail out a replacement. Or if there is a Bose store near you, you can walk in and get a replacement.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
my iphone 6 glass/display assembly is loose.
as much as i want to keep it as it's fully functional....
i cant bear spending $1100 on a phone (128gb space grey + apple care) and having a loose screen like that... it makes the phone seem bent...which it isnt
but then everything else is perfect... screen is AMAZING... which is the most important thing for me.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Refurbs are indistinguishable from new.

They are very easily distinguishable from new. My 2 replacements (in a row) of iPhone 5 had screen coming off. Refurbished phones clearly go through a completely different process and different line.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Actually, Bose comes pretty close. If the cord on their earphones break, or if the ear pads on their headphones wear out, a phone call and they'll mail out a replacement. Or if there is a Bose store near you, you can walk in and get a replacement.

Was referring to phone manufacturers lol

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
They are very easily distinguishable from new. My 2 replacements (in a row) of iPhone 5 had screen coming off. Refurbished phones clearly go through a completely different process and different line.
My brand new iPhone 5 that I got in late August as a replacement is statistically speaking a refurb.

It is superior in build quality and function then the iPhone 5 it replaced, which I got in November 2012 as a replacement for my launch day iPhone 5.

As in any mass refurbishment/recycling program there are a number of phones that fall through the cracks. But generally speaking my statement is correct.

jasonc11

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
Totally Happy

Had to have a 2 day old iPhone 6 replaced a week and a half ago. Replacement came out of the little white box but a check on the serial # shows it was actually manufactured two weeks prior to the one I had turned in, was BRAND NEW and no issues at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.