Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Current iphone X user. I am sending in my iphone X today to apple via fedex for a replacement, so itll take a few days for them to get it, and then a few days to get my new one shipped to me.. plus weekend doesnt count..
Got me thinking of having a backup iphone. I have a galaxy S8 laying around ( wll give to family member soon) but being out of the eco system is terrible. Most of my work related messages are all imessage groups and also my apple watch wouldnt work. I have an iPhone 4S laying around and im trying it now, and i got almost all my usual apps installed minus Apollo, but performance is just soooooooooooooo slow. Also cant use apple watch with 4S. Also i usually trade in my phone to apple when i get a new phone just because i dont want to buy the newest iphone and then sell later , or sell before the new one launches and be without a phone. Having a better iphone backup (but still budget option), in case of emergency, problems with main phone, or simply being able to use backup iphone while i sell my main one when i upgrade would be nice.
So i was thinking of the iphone SE, can anyone chime in with experiences using it on the latest ios?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Current iphone X user. I am sending in my iphone X today to apple via fedex for a replacement, so itll take a few days for them to get it, and then a few days to get my new one shipped to me.. plus weekend doesnt count..
Got me thinking of having a backup iphone. I have a galaxy S8 laying around ( wll give to family member soon) but being out of the eco system is terrible. Most of my work related messages are all imessage groups and also my apple watch wouldnt work. I have an iPhone 4S laying around and im trying it now, and i got almost all my usual apps installed minus Apollo, but performance is just soooooooooooooo slow. Also cant use apple watch with 4S. Also i usually trade in my phone to apple when i get a new phone just because i dont want to buy the newest iphone and then sell later , or sell before the new one launches and be without a phone. Having a better iphone backup (but still budget option), in case of emergency, problems with main phone, or simply being able to use backup iphone while i sell my main one when i upgrade would be nice.
So i was thinking of the iphone SE, can anyone chime in with experiences using it on the latest ios?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/safe-to-update-my-iphone-se-to-ios-11.2107994/ might be of some help.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My son has no issues.

Being on the bleeding edge of updates is his thing and he has not reported any problems to me. He's got a 64GB SE. Be a year old in October.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’m not sure how your son would report iOS 11 issues to you given that he’s not even 1 yet...
?????

My son will be 15 in October. Entering the 10th grade this year. Maybe you are thinking of someone else?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Really, people are generally smarter than we give them credit for. ;)
I work with one person who proves to me every day that she's dumber than she was the day before. It's really a neat trick, but she can accomplish this by never actually listening to what I say unless it's what she wants to hear at the moment.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I feel going from 9.2 to 11.1 on my 64 gig SE slowed it down a little, some sites in Safari freeze momentarily as I switch from portrait to landscape.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I went from 10 to 11 over the weekend on my 6s. My wife’s SE has been on 11 all year. Good all around. I feel like 11 is actually a smoother experience.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
My SE is speedy but buggy as h*** on iOS 11
Looking forward to iOS 12 and hopefully I'll have iCloud sync on my SE again.
Or do I have to wait until I buy another phone for that?
Heard that Apple have some of these strategies. Or maybe that just had to do with speed?
Don't know the validity of any of that though ;)

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018
Honestly I'm using iOS 12 on my 16gb SE - no issues whatsoever. It's very stable for an initial beta and I do feel the phone is snappier from the new cpu boost timing optimization.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Considering the 6S (the SE is just the 6S inside an iPhone 5/5S shell) is running iOS11 just fine, the SE should be fine, or even a bit faster since it has lower res screen than the 6S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.